I need some info on razorback musks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
I was thinking about getting a razorback musk turtle and wanted to know some facts about them like size, appetite, attitude etc oh and would it be ok to keep one with my common musk?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That's a funny user name don't see why you couldn't keep the two together but would keep the new one in quarantine so if the new guy is sick it will not hurt the one you got but don't know much about them but i gave you a hit maybe some nice musk turtle guy/girl will chime in

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
mike taylor said:
That's a funny user name don't see why you couldn't keep the two together but would keep the new one in quarantine so if the new guy is sick it will not hurt the one you got but don't know much about them but i gave you a hit maybe some nice musk turtle guy/girl will chime in

Thanks! And i came up with the name while eating a banana lol

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man i can't believe nobody is talking about your razor back i would like to know more about them to so off to the net with me were are you tfo musk guys

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
mike taylor said:
Man i can't believe nobody is talking about your razor back i would like to know more about them to so off to the net with me were are you tfo musk guys

Yeah i know, i expected more people to respond too.. :(

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Clemente, California
Hi Adam,

We just added two aquatic turtles to our family, one being a Razorback Musk, the other a Spotted Turtle. Both turtles are hatchlings and are in the same 20 gallon tank. So far they seem to get along fine and I see them sitting near each other just looking at one another! I decided on these two types of turtles as both are shy and typically non-aggressive, so I am hopeful they will be good tank-mates for the long haul. If not, we are prepared to set-up separate tanks. Once they get a bit larger we plan to buy a 75 or 100 gallon tank for them. The basking side of the tank consists of the Tetrafauna "Viquarium" which is a large waterfall/filter system. We have that part of the tank built up with gravel and have tillandsias placed here too. The wet part of the tank has three inches of water since neither are great swimmers at this phase and it consists of about an inch of the same gravel, two large rocks with one piece of Mopani wood for basking. We have various live aquatic plants in this area too, which they love to sit on, hang on or hide in. Additionally we have two golf-ball sized live moss balls which the Musk bounces back and forth on which totally cracks me up. Right now I feed them ReptoMin Floating Food Sticks and Zoo Med Natural Aquatic Turtle Foot (Hatchling Formula) and they gobble both up. Once or twice a week I give them either beef heart, brine shrimp or blood worms, all found frozen in sugar-cube sized squares at Petsmart. I just defrost one cube in a cup of filtered water. I also take them out of the tank separately, to feed them. I use a plastic bowl with a medium-sized bottom, add about a quarter-inch of tank water, place the bowl in the tank so the turtle stays warm, add the food and one turtle. Wash, rinse, repeat for the second turtle. This way I am certain the babies are eating and it helps keep the tank clean too. We keep the basking area at around 80-85 degrees and the water at about 70-74 degrees. We do not use a water heater as the lights (one UVB and one heat) keep everything at a good temp. If you happen to be in Southern California I can recommend a nice store too. Please let me know if you have any questions. :D

Richard Gere's Ears

5 Year Member
Adam,

I personally keep over 50 musks, loggerheads, stripe necks, stinkpots and razorbacks. Razors are the largest and, in my experience, the most docile of the group. Despite their appearance, they are most closely related to the stinkpots. I keep my razors in my cooter ponds, and they do quite well. I wouldn't recommend keeping large adult male razorbacks with smaller musks because if they mount them, the smaller turtle could drown. I feed mine a variety of snails, clams, pellets, chopped fish, shrimp, pinkies and whatever they scavenge off the bottom. Great turtles, lots of personality. I think everyone should have at least one

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
Richard Gere's Ears said:
Adam,

I personally keep over 50 musks, loggerheads, stripe necks, stinkpots and razorbacks. Razors are the largest and, in my experience, the most docile of the group. Despite their appearance, they are most closely related to the stinkpots. I keep my razors in my cooter ponds, and they do quite well. I wouldn't recommend keeping large adult male razorbacks with smaller musks because if they mount them, the smaller turtle could drown. I feed mine a variety of snails, clams, pellets, chopped fish, shrimp, pinkies and whatever they scavenge off the bottom. Great turtles, lots of personality. I think everyone should have at least one

Thank you very much! :D

DanaRae60 said:
Hi Adam,

We just added two aquatic turtles to our family, one being a Razorback Musk, the other a Spotted Turtle. Both turtles are hatchlings and are in the same 20 gallon tank. So far they seem to get along fine and I see them sitting near each other just looking at one another! I decided on these two types of turtles as both are shy and typically non-aggressive, so I am hopeful they will be good tank-mates for the long haul. If not, we are prepared to set-up separate tanks. Once they get a bit larger we plan to buy a 75 or 100 gallon tank for them. The basking side of the tank consists of the Tetrafauna "Viquarium" which is a large waterfall/filter system. We have that part of the tank built up with gravel and have tillandsias placed here too. The wet part of the tank has three inches of water since neither are great swimmers at this phase and it consists of about an inch of the same gravel, two large rocks with one piece of Mopani wood for basking. We have various live aquatic plants in this area too, which they love to sit on, hang on or hide in. Additionally we have two golf-ball sized live moss balls which the Musk bounces back and forth on which totally cracks me up. Right now I feed them ReptoMin Floating Food Sticks and Zoo Med Natural Aquatic Turtle Foot (Hatchling Formula) and they gobble both up. Once or twice a week I give them either beef heart, brine shrimp or blood worms, all found frozen in sugar-cube sized squares at Petsmart. I just defrost one cube in a cup of filtered water. I also take them out of the tank separately, to feed them. I use a plastic bowl with a medium-sized bottom, add about a quarter-inch of tank water, place the bowl in the tank so the turtle stays warm, add the food and one turtle. Wash, rinse, repeat for the second turtle. This way I am certain the babies are eating and it helps keep the tank clean too. We keep the basking area at around 80-85 degrees and the water at about 70-74 degrees. We do not use a water heater as the lights (one UVB and one heat) keep everything at a good temp. If you happen to be in Southern California I can recommend a nice store too. Please let me know if you have any questions. :D

Thanks for the info! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.