Thinking about turning this furniture into closed chamber...

Status
Not open for further replies.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Fount this on Craigslist for cheap, want to buy it and turn it into a closed chamber table. Besides cutting holes in the top for lights and lining it properly, is there any thing you guys may think should be done. I want to make sure It will be an easy conversion before I go ahead and pick it up. It's 50x21.

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365916941.953166.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kjr153

5 Year Member
Well how big is your Tort? Is that the cheap cardboard wood? Hard to tell from the picture. You don't want it to rot from the moisture. I do see what you're saying about the easy conversion though. Good luck.

One more thought... By the time you attached the lights to the top of the chamber it looks like the lights would be way to close to the tort.

kjr153 said:
Well how big is your Tort? Is that the cheap cardboard wood? Hard to tell from the picture. You don't want it to rot from the moisture. I do see what you're saying about the easy conversion though. Good luck.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
The lights will be on top, not inside. My tortoise is 4 inches, and has access to a big outdoor run when the weather is nice.

I am waiting for seller to reply about what kind of wood it is. It looks faded on top so I'm hoping its solid wood. Then I'll cut the stubby legs off and add some table legs.

Yeah it's solid wood!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Anybody? Suppose to pick it up in the a.m. And want to get it all figured out before pick up!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
40 bucks! Then I can sell my annoying zoo med house and it will pay for itself.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I'm also wondering if I'll need to upgrade the lighting to keep it warm enough. I'll play around with that when I get it hooked up. Either way I am switching from. a red infrared to a CHE once I get it set up.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
theelectraco said:
I'm also wondering if I'll need to upgrade the lighting to keep it warm enough. I'll play around with that when I get it hooked up. Either way I am switching from. a red infrared to a CHE once I get it set up.

You could put 2 CHE in, one at each end to keep the temps stable

theelectraco

5 Year Member
What about one high wattage CHE possible in the center. Or one high CHE on one end (where the tort sleeps) and then a basking bulb on the end? I'll prob make 3 cut outs on top just in case and plug one up if its unused.

Honestly, I'm surprised I haven't seen this done more often on the forums. I don't think I have ever seen any pictures of one of these being converted. The sliding doors make it pretty sleek and easy access.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Im sure you could put one higher wattage CHE in the middle. For my radiated night time box I have 2 60 watt CHE,,,,one at each end. They dont get as hot. Im sure you already know this but just make sure the cord and lamp can handle the higher watts. Im very careful when it comes to this,,,dont want things to get to hot and start a fire. Also summer is coming soon and it will be warmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.