Thinking of rehoming...

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire, UK
Hi everyone,

I feel guilty even thinking about this, but lifestyle changes mean I have less time to dedicate to my tortoise.

We are renovating a house and I have just got a new job, where I will be working more hours. I feel like I do the bare minimum for Sherman currently and that might get worse as I start to work more.

Basically I just need opinions. I'd definitely ensure a new home would be one where he would be looked after properly.

Have you ever rehomed a tortoise because your situation changed?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I think that sounds like a tough decision you're facing, but that this is the right 'room' in which to ask for help in finding a new home for your torts.

I'm sorry for the situation that necessitates the rehoming, but applaud your choice to put the tortoise first!

Jamie

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
Thanks. I'm wondering if I should try hibernating him over winter so he can be safe while we do messy work in the kitchen, but having never hibernated him before, I'm quite nervous to do this.

Summer was easy because he spent all day outside in the garden, but it's way too cold for him to be out now.

Maybe I just need to get into a habit of making time for him. I suppose I won't know for sure until I start this new job.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Thanks. I'm wondering if I should try hibernating him over winter so he can be safe while we do messy work in the kitchen, but having never hibernated him before, I'm quite nervous to do this.

Summer was easy because he spent all day outside in the garden, but it's way too cold for him to be out now.

Maybe I just need to get into a habit of making time for him. I suppose I won't know for sure until I start this new job.

Oh how sad!
I was having medical issues that made me think that I might be forced to rehome my beautiful tort. I was certain that would be the case. But with my boyfriend's help, Arty has made it and so have I. I'm so sorry this decision feels overwhelming.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sorry to hear you are thinking about rehoming your tortoise but hibernation is always an option if done correctly. There may be tortoise clubs/rescues in your area and many of them have free pre-hibernation checks by vets or may know of members that could help.

I work and am out of the house from 8 til 4 30 and my leopard is OK - I do have someone pop in on some days to make sure he is OK, and Lola has his own room so he can stretch his legs and bask under his lamp.

If you do decide to re home, the BATK is based in Leamington Spa, and they will find him a good home.

Sadly if you advertise randomly you'll never know what sort of home he is going to. :(

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
PS - I'm sure you're already aware that if you do advertise him, don't say 'free to a good home' etc because there are plenty of unscrupulous people out there who will take him then sell him on for profit.
This is the link for the British Association of Tortoise Keepers https://lindajbatk.wixsite.com/batk/re-homing-tortoises
There are also lots of threads about hibernating on TFO
Good luck with your decision.