This fake story keeps returning

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Man that story is all over the place. Has it been "snopes" type disproved (ie someone admitted to lying or fraud found), so to speak, or just "there's no way"?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Man that story is all over the place. Has it been "snopes" type disproved (ie someone admitted to lying or fraud found), so to speak, or just "there's no way"?
30 years in a box in a dark, freezing cold attic with no food, water or sunlight?
It goes on to say that he must've been eating termites that fell into the box.

It also suggested that the tortoise, a Redfoot, can live up to 225 years.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have no idea if there every was a fact check on it, or anyone admitting they lied. Just common sense tells me it's a fake. Everything about it is makes no sense of any truth.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
As the only Licensed plumber here, I should warn you all of what I smell!! LOL

We had daughter #1's guinea pig that we thought got eaten by the dog.....only to find it TWO YEARS later in my basement shop, where the dog slept at night. It had been living off the dogs food & water! It was FAT! We pulled out its cage(long put away) put it back in the cage.......then she didn't feed it and it died..............

Talk about feast or famine!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So it would seem.
I mean, it couldn't possibly be true.
Or could it?
If it were a species that brumates then I would say slightly possible, slightly.
Even slowing down like some do in the winter months, I wouldn't buy it. That's just way too long with no food or water and an attic with it's extreme heat in summer and cold in winter, no way is it a true story.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I'd be more likely to believe the story if it was about a Russian, that could brumate through extreme hot/cold/dry periods, but I just cannot see a Redfoot making it through all of those years with the ups and downs and lack of water/humidity.

J

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'd be more likely to believe the story if it was about a Russian, that could brumate through extreme hot/cold/dry periods, but I just cannot see a Redfoot making it through all of those years with the ups and downs and lack of water/humidity.

J
Agreed.
And if you are to believe the story, there's also a picture if the RF in question. Smoothe, with fully chubby legs and bright eyes.
Maybe that's the answer to all health issues. Screw the closed chamber enclosures! Just toss your tort in a box. Place the box into your attic and come back in 30 years.

Last edited: