kimby37

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts

Paige Lewis

5 Year Member
Swansea, UK
I think it looks like it could do the job great, it even has a shelf you could keep Mylo's tort stuff on, the dimensions look good to.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Woah, that is pretty cool, it has a higher shelf you could mount lights on as well. You should probably put some kind of liner in it though, to keep it from soaking through if it gets wet.

kimby37

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
GBtortoises said:
It would work just fine but you can definitely build something or have something built locally for a lot less!

I have looked around to buy one or build one but this seemed the easiest way. I found this potters bench 25$ cheaper with free shipping on another sight. I don't have time to build one. Plus id have to finish it so it would be waterproof and i have no place to do that and let it dry without smelling it. Just trying to figure an easier way to get him out of the glass tank he is in.

jeffbens0n said:
Woah, that is pretty cool, it has a higher shelf you could mount lights on as well. You should probably put some kind of liner in it though, to keep it from soaking through if it gets wet.

I was thinking of the shelf for the lights also. I was thinking of putting planter trays in it with a shower curtain under them. Says its weatherproof.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
That looks really nice. My only thought is that most torts will outgrow that before too long. I'm not experienced with Hermann's but it does seem like the size would work and the rest of it seems really functional. Good find. I like the idea of hanging the lights from the top.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its not big enough for a tortoise. Now if you wanted to use it as a table and put a very large tub on top of it that would be ok. I bought my daughter one of those for Christmas (she's an avid gardener) and it works great for potting, but not big enough to house a tortoise.

kimby37

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
emysemys said:
Its not big enough for a tortoise. Now if you wanted to use it as a table and put a very large tub on top of it that would be ok. I bought my daughter one of those for Christmas (she's an avid gardener) and it works great for potting, but not big enough to house a tortoise.

Hes is only 2 inches right now, its better than the 12"X30" glass enclosure he is in right now. I want to get him out of the glass tank. At least just for this winter then i can use it to garden:)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i think its great for a small guy. I'd line it with thick plastic sheeting or a shower curtain, then put yout top soil and stuff.. if you do it.. post pics.
or just get a shelving unit, lay it on its back, take out the shelves.. not as cute, but bigger.. and you could lay it on a card table..

kimby37

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Laura said:
i think its great for a small guy. I'd line it with thick plastic sheeting or a shower curtain, then put yout top soil and stuff.. if you do it.. post pics.
or just get a shelving unit, lay it on its back, take out the shelves.. not as cute, but bigger.. and you could lay it on a card table..

I have been looking for a bookcase or shelving unit but cant find what anything that looks ok. I was just thinking if i had to modify something or make one i still have to buy a card table to put it on. This is already standing. Just not sure what to do. I just want to get him out of the glass tank. All the wood shelving units i see are just as much as the bench. Just so confused :(

kimby37

5 Year Member
Massachusetts

wildponey21

5 Year Member
I used an old water bed fram. it is a queen size bed and it is in my bed room next to me bed. I built a screen top for it right in my room. Now i also have a hole 3rd floor for my room. I will be get a rubber stall matt for it so it will be wather proof and easy to clean.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
kimby37 said:
Hes is only 2 inches right now, its better than the 12"X30" glass enclosure he is in right now. I want to get him out of the glass tank. At least just for this winter then i can use it to garden:)

The top of that bench is 24" x 36". So if you used the whole top of the bench, it would only be 12" wider than your glass enclosure. If you only used the recessed area it would be SMALLER than your glass enclosure.

Sounds to me as if you already have your mind made up to get it. The one I bought for my daughter for Christmas is the third from the left in the bottom pictures. Its very well made and she loves it. I'm sure you will enjoy whichever one you buy also, but its really not big enough for even a hatchling tortoise.

kimby37

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Thank you everyone for your replys and comments. We did decided to wait. I just wish i had space to build something now. We will if/when this snow ever melts. Thanks again for all your input, it is highly appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.