This is a silly one (shell creams??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicola.g

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
This is a really stupid question brought up by a discussion I had with a friend about her mums tortoise as she used to do this... Is it ok to rub olive oil in to a tortoises shell to make it shine?
I would say it's not necessary and I can only imagine that, especially in Cyprus where we and our tortoises live , it would cook them on the outside and it's not like they do it to themselves in nature. I did giggle to myself when I thought about this though, imagining tortoises asking their other tortoises friends to rub some in on the bits they can't reach :D

zman7590

5 Year Member
Re: This is a silly one

its a way to get nice pixxx

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TortForum mobile app

WillTort2

5 Year Member
RE: This is a silly one

I've read of people using coconut oil or olive oil when the shell has a dry and brittle look.

I've tried the olive oil on the growth areas between the scutes using a q-tip. It seems to improve the look of the shell and I've not seen any bad side effects.

Have there been any studies on these or other shell treatments?

zman7590

5 Year Member
Its not gonna hurt the tort one bit

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TortForum mobile app

theoccargirl

5 Year Member
I use organic coconut oil.....I've heard its better than olive oil. :)

D.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using TortForum mobile app

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
I remember reading somewhere on here of a member doing this and going out to her tortoise shelter in the morning and finding ants attacking her poor tort, so maybe proceed cautiously.

Two kids, One husband, One Hines57, One Leopard Tortoise, and a room at the sanitarium lol

Artemis the Tortoise

5 Year Member
nicola.g said:
This is a really stupid question brought up by a discussion I had with a friend about her mums tortoise as she used to do this... Is it ok to rub olive oil in to a tortoises shell to make it shine?
I would say it's not necessary and I can only imagine that, especially in Cyprus where we and our tortoises live , it would cook them on the outside and it's not like they do it to themselves in nature. I did giggle to myself when I thought about this though, imagining tortoises asking their other tortoises friends to rub some in on the bits they can't reach :D

I use Vita Shell it work great and makes my tort nice and shiny it smells nice but it makes ur tort a little slippery

Artemis' Mommy[HERB][TULIP][TURTLE][TULIP][HERB]

nicola.g

5 Year Member
Cyprus
Artemis the Tortoise said:
nicola.g said:

I use Vita Shell it work great and makes my tort nice and shiny it smells nice but it makes ur tort a little slippery

Artemis' Mommy[HERB][TULIP][TURTLE][TULIP][HERB]

I've actually just bought some shell treatment today which is also supposed to be good for pest control so the leaflet says :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just be careful to polish off all the excess - no matter what you use. Too much oil/cream/whatever left on the shell might cause dirt to adhere to the shell and MIGHT cause over heating. (and might attract ants, as was previously stated)

nicola.g

5 Year Member
Cyprus
Yvonne G said:
Just be careful to polish off all the excess - no matter what you use. Too much oil/cream/whatever left on the shell might cause dirt to adhere to the shell and MIGHT cause over heating. (and might attract ants, as was previously stated)

Hmmm thanks Yvonne, I was wondering about the over-heating as I mentioned in my initial message about this. And the ants are a worry too as we do get a lot of sun, heat and ants in this country over summer. Soooo maybe I leave this treatment just to do over winter when it is a lot cooler and a lot less ants... Although the treatment I bought today does say it's good for pest control, I think it may be best to err on the side of caution??

Status
Not open for further replies.