this turtle bites EVERYTHING !

Status
Not open for further replies.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago IL
So as most of u saw my thread about my boxie eating her arm , I brought her outside today because it is 80 in Chicago and she is trying to eat anything and everything in the yard. She bit dirt , leaves, rocks. And she did find a rolly Polly :) Does anyone else have boxies that eat everything ?!? And should I let her taste test ??

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
unlike humans who have hands to feel and touch, turtles use their mouths to test things out, its totally natrual and normal its a new enviroment and shes checking it out :) this is how she is going to find out what is yummy and what is not :)

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Ok cool . She found a patch of leaf litter and she's hanging out in there .. but I can see her shell of course :)

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
i cant find the pictures BUT one time i taped a ballon to the shell of my turts and let them forage and hang out in the yard, but i knew where they were because they had left over party ballons attached to them :) LOL it was a site to see

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
turtlemann2 said:
i cant find the pictures BUT one time i taped a ballon to the shell of my turts and let them forage and hang out in the yard, but i knew where they were because they had left over party ballons attached to them :) LOL it was a site to see

lol :p

Akronic

5 Year Member
what would be funny is those, dune buggy flag poles! if you could find a way to attach it

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
turtlemann2 said:

That would be pretty to see.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
In the Spring when all the box turtles come up from hibernation they will go all over the garden nibbling on all the little sprouts that are coming up. That's the only time I ever see them eat anything that grows in the garden, except for fallen figs and strawberries...oh and sometimes there are some mushrooms growing on an old log.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
terryo said:
In the Spring when all the box turtles come up from hibernation they will go all over the garden nibbling on all the little sprouts that are coming up. That's the only time I ever see them eat anything that grows in the garden, except for fallen figs and strawberries...oh and sometimes there are some mushrooms growing on an old log.

Cool , good to know ! By the way I got a pathos plant for my indoor enclosure and hostas for the outdoor one I'm going to put up :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Hosta's are great for the outdoor garden. They draw slugs, which the turtles love. Mine will sit under the hostas all the time, especially to get out of the sun. My Cherry Heads sit under them outside too. The little hosta sprouts usually come up right around the same time as the turtles come out from hibernation, and those are the first shoots they will eat. I don't know how, but the hosta's still come up every year, even though they eat the little shoots coming up in the Spring. I also use Pothos in all my indoor vivariums for the small turtles.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I was just noticing today, that the hostas were just starting to sprout up.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
So is there anything in the garden that the boxie shouldn't eat ? Cause I think she ate a centipede

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
more power to her :) in the wild they eat just about everything that moves, this includes centapedes frogs baby mice and etc thats fine besides if she didnt like it she would have spit it up and out :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
turtlemann2 said:
great thanks for the link :), though i would like to say how disapointed i am that you have no boxie pictures on your FB lol darn redfoots

NOW...take a look.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Much Better!, though now i relize i myself lack enough boxie pics hmmm maybe when i upload a bunch of pictures of my bale for JOJO ill have to upload a few to FB as to not be such a hypocrit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.