Thoughts on Bone Meal in Leopards Diet?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My neighbor had a turtle book he gave me, "The Proper Care of Turtles". LOL. It has both turtles and tortoises in it, mostly turtle care. However, with a picture of a leopard tortoise, it said the leopard would appreciate a small amount of Bone Meal in its daily diet. Has anyone used this? Is it a good idea? What about giving it to other species?
@Tom @Yvonne G @tortadise and anyone else that has thoughts, opinions or usage of it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Usually for reptiles we are using calcium to correct both a lack of calcium, and a low calcium to phosphorous ratio. Bone meal has phosphorous in it, so it is less helpful in correcting and improper Ca : Ph ratio. For example: You wouldn't want to dust your feeder insects with bone meal since part of why we dust them is to correct the Ca : Ph ratio.

I think using calcium carbonate is still the best and most time-proven way to go.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's made up of ground cow bones and can be harmful if inhaled. Remember mad cow disease?

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can you just crush up (or not) plain calcium tablets and use that?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am not in need of calcium or in need of a way to give calcium.
I was just wondering if the bone meal was needed and would be appreciated, as the book said. Being appreciated, I thought maybe they would like it better.
Thanks though for all the thoughts on it.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I am not in need of calcium or in need of a way to give calcium.
I was just wondering if the bone meal was needed and would be appreciated, as the book said. Being appreciated, I thought maybe they would like it better.
Thanks though for all the thoughts on it.
Just tried searching for some info on bone meal(I used to use it for the calcium content in gardening). It looks to me that the calcium to phosphorous ratio is at 2:1, but most has meat in it too, so l like 50% is protein, don't know how that would stand with herbivore torts.
I also found a calcium enriched bonemeal.
If you did decide to use it I would look into the ingredients of different brands, especially seen as you have a herbivore.
In your book does it state a brand name and what species of tort they advise to use it with?

2 examples below, there's a web address on 2nd one.
Screenshot_2016-11-24-20-09-28~2.png Screenshot_2016-11-24-20-07-54.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just tried searching for some info on bone meal(I used to use it for the calcium content in gardening). It looks to me that the calcium to phosphorous ratio is at 2:1, but most has meat in it too, so l like 50% is protein, don't know how that would stand with herbivore torts.
I also found a calcium enriched bonemeal.
If you did decide to use it I would look into the ingredients of different brands, especially seen as you have a herbivore.
In your book does it state a brand name and what species of tort they advise to use it with?

2 examples below, there's a web address on 2nd one.
View attachment 193013 View attachment 193015
It didn't mention a brand but it did say for leopards. That's what caught my eye, a different source then I have heard before and for leopards.