Three toed box turtle food

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I have two three toed box turtles and we wanted to try Pretty Pets Box Turtle Food for a change but they wont eat it. Does anyone have it and how do you feed it to them? We try putting it on their lettuce and spraying it so its moist but they dont get much. we tried putting a bunch of it in a pile and they dont seem interested. Any techniques?

Attachments

• box turtle food.jpg
    box turtle food.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 18

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Don't know about that brand, but I use ZooMed Natural Box Turtle and ZooMed Natural Forest for my Redfoots. They love the smaller pellets of the Box Food. Might try that..

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Can you offer up a lis of greens that are preferred for the 3 Toed Boxie or can the food list in the sticky thread about foods for Desert Torts in the Foods and Diet section work for most vegetarian Terrapins?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Dr. Boyer said he did not care for Pretty Pellets when I went to his lecture.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The only pelleted feed I use for my box turtles is Mazuri. I soak it in hot water until it is softened, and they get it once or twice a week. The rest of the time they eat the same dark leafy greens as my tortoises get, along with strawberries, rasperries, blackberries, elderberries and grapes, (not all in the same day, 1 or two from that list twice a week,) earthworms daily, slugs too, portabella mushrooms daily, and canned mackerel or salmon once a week.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I make a mix once a week for mine. In a food processor I put a bunch of greens (escarole, dandelion, etc.), some fruit (strawberries, blueberries, etc.) sweet potato, cooked a bit, and carrots, and an egg with the shell. I add this mix to canned venison or canned whitefish. All my boxies go crazy over this mix. Even the hatchling love it. The next week I use different greens and fruit, or some mushrooms. I never used the dried box turtle food. Sometimes I will put Mazuri instead of the canned meat. It's just so easy to take a scoop out each day. They get worms in the afternoon.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Terry O, I have asked this before but still don't know. Is the egg raw or hard boiled?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Angi said:
Terry O, I have asked this before but still don't know. Is the egg raw or hard boiled?

Angi, I'm sorry. I thought I answered this question in another thread. I put the egg in the blender raw...shell too. If I'm making a lot, I put two eggs in. It holds the mix together too. I don't blend everything until it's a mush. You can still see the tiny little pieces of food...NOT mush. I don't put the meat in the blender I add the mix to the venison in another bowel, so you can see lumps of meat. Before I put the mix in the meat, I take some out for Pio and Solo. They get the benefit of the egg, and shell, but not the meat, so they aren't getting too much protein. I don't think I've ever had one animal that didn't like this mix. Sometimes I put mango or pineapple or cantaloupe in too. If Pio could lick the dish she would.
Here's Pio with the mix without the venison.
024-28.jpg

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
you can look up my list, if you like but it doesn't have many "greens" on it. though i'm still working on it

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
terryo said:
I make a mix once a week for mine. In a food processor I put a bunch of greens (escarole, dandelion, etc.), some fruit (strawberries, blueberries, etc.) sweet potato, cooked a bit, and carrots, and an egg with the shell. I add this mix to canned venison or canned whitefish. All my boxies go crazy over this mix. Even the hatchling love it. The next week I use different greens and fruit, or some mushrooms. I never used the dried box turtle food. Sometimes I will put Mazuri instead of the canned meat. It's just so easy to take a scoop out each day. They get worms in the afternoon.

that sounds like a great idea, mind if i borrow it?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Just remember NOT to put the canned venison into the blender with the other stuff. After you mix everything then in another bowel, add the meat or fish. And don't blend it until it's mush....just enough so you can still see the little pieces of food, like in the picture with Pio eating her's.

Status
Not open for further replies.