Three Toed Box Turtle Hatchlings

canddfree

Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area, California
Hello,

I am new to the forum! I have an adult Three Toed who is housed in a 40 gal tank. I am getting two baby hatchlings and I got a 55 gal for them to be housed in. I am getting it all setup this week and pick them up next weekend. Any advice you have would be wonderful because I have never had babies before.

IMG_1297.JPG

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I don't know too much about box turtles but man that one on the right has some funky scutes. Don't think I've ever seen anything like that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please remember that because baby box turtles are so small, they dehydrate quickly. Keep them on moist substrate and soak them for about 15 minutes daily in warm water. It also helps to not use a desiccating light. For years I used the Mercury Vapor Bulbs, but have only recently come to learn that the tube type fluorescent UVB bulb is much better for this species. So keep them in a well planted, humid enclosure, under a soft UVB light and teach them early to eat greens and veggies along with their live animal protein.

I love the ones with aberrant scutes. Recently I hatched out a leopard baby that I call Zipper:

zipper 11-26-18 a.jpg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yvonne gives great advice. Tube type UVB and lots of warm humidity. I would cover the top to hold in that humidity.