Time to go bigger I thinK?

Megatron's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
North Little Rock, Arkansas
Optimus Prime, sulcata is roughly a year old. I'm guessing this as I was given them as a Valentine day present from my husband. Optimus was 40g when I got him/her and 2 1/8th inches long.

Now at 575 grams as of last Saturday and 5 3/4 inches long. I think, now that we are inside only. I probably need to increase the size of the enclosure. The enclosure size is 4x4, I will be going to 4x8.

Now the fun part trying to figure out how to design it so I don't need to take up another room just yet :)

Pictures for taxes

Attachments

• 405849144_296933299383554_1528970528446746114_n (1).jpg
    405849144_296933299383554_1528970528446746114_n (1).jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 403411722_391022199922017_33739896033673117_n.jpg
    403411722_391022199922017_33739896033673117_n.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 8

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yep it sure is time.
Have you looked into the pop up greenhouses? They are cheap and with a little tweaking work great. They usually are 3x6, 9, or 12.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Should 4x8 last awhile? I'm hoping until I can get outside full time.
Yes. I keep them in a 4x8 until they get to around 10 inches. At that size you will see first hand, without anyone telling you, why 4x8 is too small, and that bugger needs to be outside full time. Your tortoise will let you know.

What I like to do is have their outside enclosure set up and ready now, at the size your tortoise is right now, and start putting them out there for a few hours a day, weather permitting. As they gain size, I get them out earlier ad leave them out later. All the better if you can build the night house now too, ad let the tortoise start getting used to that as well. I just put them in and let them walk out a couple few times a day. Eventually, when the weather is nice and your tortoise is acting like a brute in the indoor cage, you will just put him in the night house that is already up and running and thoroughly checked for temperatures overnight, shut the door, and let him sleep tight overnight outside.

Megatron's Mom

Yes. I keep them in a 4x8 until they get to around 10 inches. At that size you will see first hand, without anyone telling you, why 4x8 is too small, and that bugger needs to be outside full time. Your tortoise will let you know.

What I like to do is have their outside enclosure set up and ready now, at the size your tortoise is right now, and start putting them out there for a few hours a day, weather permitting. As they gain size, I get them out earlier ad leave them out later. All the better if you can build the night house now too, ad let the tortoise start getting used to that as well. I just put them in and let them walk out a couple few times a day. Eventually, when the weather is nice and your tortoise is acting like a brute in the indoor cage, you will just put him in the night house that is already up and running and thoroughly checked for temperatures overnight, shut the door, and let him sleep tight overnight outside.
Thank you, I already have the permanent outside enclosure in the works. It's a lot easier to work in the cooler weather then the summer heat. I just haven't made up my mind which side of the yard is for which torte lol.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Thank you, I already have the permanent outside enclosure in the works. It's a lot easier to work in the cooler weather then the summer heat. I just haven't made up my mind which side of the yard is for which torte lol.
I set my tortoises house's so the door is facing towards the morning sunrise in the summer. Helps to keep the
House cooler during the summer heat in the evening.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I often use one side for summer and another side for winter. More shade in summer and more sun in winter. Or I try to make large enclosures that incorporate both sides in one enclosure.

Megatron's Mom

The way my yard is it's sun no matter what side I use. Each side also has trees. For me it is more like how much do I want to let them dig before they hit shale. It can be just s few inches to maybe a foot.