Timmy and Thunder go outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Someday I hope Thunder grows up to be like Bob (Maggie's), but until then, I'll be sure to enjoy this little spud as I watch him grow.

Thunder and Timmy got to play outside today. My goats were pretty interested in them. The torts were pretty interested in all the yummy clover and dandilions!

First up, Thunder:
20308_42431_Large_n0SMJaFMAe.jpg

20308_42432_Large_BfKpR4Q7TB6GHXa.jpg

20308_42433_Large_MuJskoWtxDMwmYe.jpg

20308_42430_Large_JAXGzt7LQ0Orp.jpg

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Chad thunder and timmy are sure cute. Though thunder looks as if he might be able to use more humidity? He seems to be starting to pyramid did you get him that way?

chadk

10 Year Member!
Crazy1 said:
Chad thunder and timmy are sure cute. Though thunder looks as if he might be able to use more humidity? He seems to be starting to pyramid did you get him that way?

Yes, I got Thunder that way and I was very worried about him. He is so small for his age - almost 3yrs old and only about 4 inches. He seems to have grown some since I've had him.

He was raised on salads and mixed greens. Could have been worse, but hardly a staple diet for a sulcata. Then he was raised in a glass tank with just dry aspen bedding.

When I held the little guy, he was spunky and alert, but was way too light in the hand and the shell too thin and hollow sounding\feeling.

I'm pretty sure I saved him from a slow miserable death. I'm converting him to a grass hay staple diet along with fresh grasses and weeds from my yard. He gets lots of basking time under my MegaRay and has a great humid hide with most soil to dig in and sleep in. He gets lots of exercise and soakings.

I have a side yard on my house that is about 40X40ft. This will become the tort yard soon and will include a heated tort shed and a completely enclosed tort pen for use while he's still small, but can be let out to roam when I'm home.

The goats were very curious as you can see :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Chad, sounds like you will have his new shell coming in smooth as silk in no time. Careful of those goats they have very big feet :) Funny how different species are so curious about others.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Chad
Your 2 littles ones are very cute. I love the last pic, they are so adorable together, it looks like they are having a conversation :D

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Great pics Chad - looks like they were enjoying their time outside!

M

Maggie Cummings

I love that first picture of the Russian, it's really a pretty picture.
I know you already understand about pyramiding so I won't lecture, but exercise and humidity are desperately need by that yearling...OK??? I understand it was not caused by you...It's just you who must pay the penalty...

chadk

10 Year Member!
Yearling? Thunder is almost 3. Is that still consired a yearling? He gets a lot more exercise in the tort table I built him than he ever got in his old 40 gal aquarium. Humidity and diet and UVB are drastically better as well. Can't wait to have the outdoor pen done. I'll post pics of the before\after progress.

M

Maggie Cummings

chadk said:
Yearling? Thunder is almost 3. Is that still consired a yearling? He gets a lot more exercise in the tort table I built him than he ever got in his old 40 gal aquarium. Humidity and diet and UVB are drastically better as well. Can't wait to have the outdoor pen done. I'll post pics of the before\after progress.

I didn't mean to infer anything. I know he is better off with you, just giving you a small reminder about what causes pyramiding and how to prevent it...
I think sub adult is actually what he would be called...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I wonder if chad will remember the days when he towered over thunder? Time to start building brownie point chad, lol

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
They are so cute!!! Thunder looks to be coming along great! I am glad he has a great owner like you to make sure the rest of his life is the best!!! I am partial to Timmy though, ruskies have to stick together!!!

chadk

10 Year Member!
Is that because you are from Russia?

Status
Not open for further replies.