timothy hay grass for star tortoise??

Status
Not open for further replies.

willy wonka

5 Year Member
hi everyone..

is timothy grass hay good for little star tortoise? is it suitable for them? i'm planning to use timothy grass hay as substrate for my little star tortoise's indoor enclosure.. please advice?? thanks..

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I'm new to Stars, but I have been having success with 50% coconut coir and 50% play sand as a substrate. I tried the timothy and I felt like it was just too dry. Plus, I believe they need a humid hide. This is just my opinion though as I know a lot of people use timothy hay. I do keep a pile of timothy hay in the corner for them to burrow into, but I have yet to see them eat any of it. Good luck! :)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I use timothy hay in Taco's hide because she likes to dig into it to sleep. I use cypress, sphagnum peat moss and coco coir for the substrate in her enclosure outside the hide.

I think one possible problem with using hay as a substrate is that if you are keeping it moist (or live in a humid climate), hay can get moldy and that may cause health problems for your tort.

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Timothy Hay is ideal if you are willing to invest the time to keep the enclosure properly maintained.
Get first cut hay if possible, provide a humid micro climate, keep up with your soaking schedule, clean accordingly and all will be right with the world.

willy wonka

5 Year Member
hi there..

thanks for all advice. maybe i'll go for coconut fiber soil. is it ok??

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Cocunut coir is ok if mixed with another medium to provide some stability. If it is dry it provides very little traction and tends to slide around the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.