Tiny bugs, can anyone ID?

Location (City and/or State)
pittsburgh PA
Are these mites? Do these post a risk to my family? They are extremely tiny, I will try to get another photo, it is difficult. Thank you in advance. The forum has been so helpful.1519500077135.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are a few bugs that come with the substrate. They are harmless to all, just a pain in the you know.
I can't tell what the bug looks like in your pic. But see if you see a bunch more in the substrate, under dishes or feeding plates is where you will see them a lot. If the same kind of bug is there, then I wouldn't worry.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it's a normal bug that we all get with substrate, that's not the problem.
If it's another kind of bug that attacks, feeds off of animals then it could be the problem.
I can't see anything but a dot in your pic, even when I enlarge the pic I can figure it out.
Try searching with google for substrate bugs or mites or ticks and see if you can find it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Now as for the change your noticing. What kind of tort and how old? What are all your temps, day, night, basking? Humidity? Diet? Enclosure size? Anything else you can tell us. It's likely not the bug so if it's nof let's see if we can figure out what might be going on

pittsburgh PA
If it's a normal bug that we all get with substrate, that's not the problem.
If it's another kind of bug that attacks, feeds off of animals then it could be the problem.
I can't see anything but a dot in your pic, even when I enlarge the pic I can figure it out.
Try searching with google for substrate bugs or mites or ticks and see if you can find it.
It's very difficult to see. I did a fair amount if googling, and it does look like a tiny spider, similar to a mite. I have no idea how the tort would have gotten it, unless he came with it and it is just now showing up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it is a mite, you should do a thorough check over your tort daily for about a week. If it's just one, it's not likely the problem unless your tort is very young and small. If there are more it could be a problem.

pittsburgh PA
Now as for the change your noticing. What kind of tort and how old? What are all your temps, day, night, basking? Humidity? Diet? Enclosure size? Anything else you can tell us. It's likely not the bug so if it's nof let's see if we can figure out what might be going on

Male Russian, I would guess about 5 yrs old. He is in a MVIMG_20180224_152637.jpg
Here is his current habitat. Temos are 80 to 90 and humidity around 69 percent during the day, I've been keeping it there at night since it's been so cold here in PA and we keep the house at 66 degrees--and just turning the UVB off from 8pm to 6 am. Ceramic heat, UVB and infared. Diet: escarole, endive, dandilion greens, occasionally kale. Soaks 2-3x per week.

pittsburgh PA
Male Russian, I would guess about 5 yrs old. He is in a View attachment 231426
Here is his current habitat. Temos are 80 to 90 and humidity around 69 percent during the day, I've been keeping it there at night since it's been so cold here in PA and we keep the house at 66 degrees--and just turning the UVB off from 8pm to 6 am. Ceramic heat, UVB and infared. Diet: escarole, endive, dandilion greens, occasionally kale. Soaks 2-3x per week.
Substrate: Coco and hay for now, cleaned out wood chips due to possible bugs