Tiny for his age

Status
Not open for further replies.

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
My little Yoshi is tiny and I'm not sure if there's something wrong or there's something I'm not doing right for him.
He is a happy, active little thing who eats everything you lay out for him. Because I'm worried about his size I gave him a pile of food 4times his size this morning and it is all gone.
He is a Russian and if the age that I got was correct then he is almost 1.5years old, now I know they all grow different but as time is going on I'm starting to worry about his growth.
In the 9months I've had him he has only gained 23g and 7mm (that's if my measuring at the beginning was accurate) I've always thought he was skinny but I thought it was because I was comparing him to my bigger tort. So he is now 77g and 6.2cm.
He has the same set up as my other two who are growing good. He has 10% UVB, humidity varies between 30 and 45, basking light at 35oC with a temp gradient right down to 23oC and 19oC at night.
Their food is unfortunately mainly store bought (crispy salad mix with frisée,lambs lettuce, radicchio, romaine, cress, pre alpin and mazuri) but now the weeds are popping up here they are getting mixed in more and more.
He is such a good little fella, he drinks pees and poos every morning and gets soaked every day, he likes his routine :)
I wormed him a couple of months back just to be safe but I think I'm going to get a worm/parasite count done to be sure.
Am I just being a worried tort parent again???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This happens sometimes with any species. In most cases it is very difficult to find a concrete explanation. On the bright side, many of them end up having growth spurts and catching up, so don't give up hope. Try some Mazuri (or the equivalent from over there) and try growing some clover and alfalfa for the higher protein content. Also add some legumes to his food mix. Peas, green beans, lima beans, etc. Not every day, but as part of the mix two or three times a week.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Thanks Tom, he is such a happy little thing so I'm not hugely concerned but trying to keep an eye on him as I don't want him getting poorly.
I've got the uk mazuri which he isn't mad about but will have a little now and then so I will persist with that and try the peas and beans every so often to see if that helps. I didn't know about that so figures crossed it helps him thrive in the growth dept.

Do they ever just stay very small?
I can't stress enough what a great little guy he is but I don't know if such little growth will affect his health?
Am I right in assuming this is small and light for a tort his age? Harley who I got about 6months before him was meant to be 1 year old but he was much bigger than Yoshi so I'm guessing he was nearer 2 or 3.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sometimes, they really are just little... Some humans are the same.

As long as he's happy and healthy, don't worry :)

Dar's mum

5 Year Member
SW England, UK
laney said:
Because I'm worried about his size I gave him a pile of food 4times his size this morning and it is all gone.
He is a Russian and if the age that I got was correct then he is almost 1.5years old, now I know they all grow different but as time is going on I'm starting to worry about his growth.
In the 9months I've had him he has only gained 23g and 7mm (that's if my measuring at the beginning was accurate) I've always thought he was skinny but I thought it was because I was comparing him to my bigger tort. So he is now 77g and 6.2cm.

Hello,
I've got a 2011 hatch (no exact date known, but at least 18 months) Russian boy who is only 64g and his shell is 6.8cm long. So don't worry, your boy is a lot chunkier than mine.

I feed My Darwin about twice bigger food pile than his shell size everyday - a mixture of weeds, flowers, PakChoi and green/red leaf vegs etc, but he's very fussy eater and I've never seen him eaten up everything.
He just cannot concentrate on eating and wanders off very quickly.
I've tried Komodo tortoise diet and he liked it very much, but then he started ignoring greens so I don't want to give it too often.
Darwin likes his routine and soaking, too. He enjoys walking and grazes around in the garden on sunny days, he pees and poops regularly and I don't have any other comparison, so I wasn't worried too much but now I think I should be worried as he might be extremely light for his age... :(
My Darwin is still at settling-down stage, so I'm thinking to take him to vet for his poops being checked soon.

I would be grateful if you keep updating how your Yoshi's doing and his size, so I have a role model to aim for! :)

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Dar said:
laney said:
Because I'm worried about his size I gave him a pile of food 4times his size this morning and it is all gone.

Hello,
I've got a 2011 hatch (no exact date known, but at least 18 months) Russian boy who is only 64g and his shell is 6.8cm long. So don't worry, your boy is a lot chunkier than mine.

I feed My Darwin about twice bigger food pile than his shell size everyday - a mixture of weeds, flowers, PakChoi and green/red leaf vegs etc, but he's very fussy eater and I've never seen him eaten up everything.
He just cannot concentrate on eating and wanders off very quickly.
I've tried Komodo tortoise diet and he liked it very much, but then he started ignoring greens so I don't want to give it too often.
Darwin likes his routine and soaking, too. He enjoys walking and grazes around in the garden on sunny days, he pees and poops regularly and I don't have any other comparison, so I wasn't worried too much but now I think I should be worried as he might be extremely light for his age... :(
My Darwin is still at settling-down stage, so I'm thinking to take him to vet for his poops being checked soon.

I would be grateful if you keep updating how your Yoshi's doing and his size, so I have a role model to aim for! :)

Thanks for replying :)
It's good to know he isn't the only one. I think because he is the smallest one I got its hard to know whats "normal" but I'm feeling more positive about it and thinking that he is just going to be a little thing or may have a spurt, either way he is happy and active with no visible signs (apart from size) of being in poor health :). Hopefully it will be the same with your little one.

Forgot to say that I supplement his food with calcium powder and nutrabol day about but if anyone notices or thinks there is something I'm missing or should change, I'd be grateful if you let me know :)

JoesMum said:
Sometimes, they really are just little... Some humans are the same.

As long as he's happy and healthy, don't worry :)

Status
Not open for further replies.