Tiny red bugs on flavo carapace???

Keith D.

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Almost certainly mites. I've not seen them congregate on tortoises before but a little mild soapy water sprayed over them will almost certainly rid the tort of the 'infestation'. You can also use diluted flea/tick shampoo made for cats & dogs - 1 tbsp per gallon should do the trick. You can also spray that in the enclosure to eliminate recurrences. I've used this method to eliminate ticks to which certain species of torts were subject.
If you want to use something organic, you can use EVCO. It worked like a charm on a DT I recently ceased and adopted.

Keith D.

Arizona
I see little white balls in the soil under the tortoise( ok, go ahead and laugh ). According to some of the substrate threads I've read on here I don't think those are good for a tortoise if they eat it.
I don't think those "little white balls" lol sorry are what you think they are. They look like some sort of seed to me.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I don't think those "little white balls" lol sorry are what you think they are. They look like some sort of seed to me.
They are white millet. One is sprouting. I compost and have a warm farm. They are from bird cages (I raise birds) and are fine.
The tiny red bugs were in with the worms. I've since changed the substrate and no longer add a shovel full to the tortoise enclosure. Now I feed individual worms and have no more issues.