Tiny white bugs in enclosure

BebeKandi

Location (City and/or State)
Finland
Hi,
Today we noticed a very tiny (~1-2mm) white bug running on our tortoise's shell and then realised there's more of them in the soil.
Here is a video of one of them: https://bit.ly/2u4BrI0
We do not have a professional camera, but hopefully someone can tell what these bugs are, whether they are dangerous and what should we do to get rid of them. We are afraid they are harmful for our tortoise.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-07-07-15-57-13.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-07-07-15-57-13.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 70

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Probably spring tails. They are harmless detrivores that come from the environment. Not harmful to your tortoise in any way.

BebeKandi

Finland
Probably spring tails. They are harmless detrivores that come from the environment. Not harmful to your tortoise in any way.
Thank you Tom for your reply.
We have read in the internet that tortoises can be stressed by bugs walking on their body. What kind of symptoms should we be sensitive to? Also, how could spring tails be removed from the soil if needed?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Tom for your reply.
We have read in the internet that tortoises can be stressed by bugs walking on their body. What kind of symptoms should we be sensitive to? Also, how could spring tails be removed from the soil if needed?
For your tortoise watch the appetite and activity patterns for anything unusual. None of mine of any age or species have ever been bothered by the bugs.

To get rid of them, you will need to boil, bake, freeze or replace your substrate every two weeks or so. Personally, I just ignore them.

BebeKandi

Finland
For your tortoise watch the appetite and activity patterns for anything unusual. None of mine of any age or species have ever been bothered by the bugs.

To get rid of them, you will need to boil, bake, freeze or replace your substrate every two weeks or so. Personally, I just ignore them.

Thank you again for your reply. For now we will leave the spring tails in the enclosure and observe if our tortoise displays any unusual behaviour. So far the appetite is still strong. :)