Tiny white bugs???

RJ0n35

Location (City and/or State)
Oldbury
Hi all, first time posting on this. So far I've found this forum very useful. I have 2 10 month old Hermanns. Have made them a lovely enclosure with rocks and coco coir. But now I'm a bit stuck...
So I started to grow a kale plant in the enclosure, and noticed these tiny little white bugs on the pot. So I've taken the pot and threw it outside straight away. But I'm noticing them in the coir and on their log. They're about 1mm big.
Can someone please identify them? Are they harmful? And how can I get rid of them??

Attachments

• 20201013_231817.jpg
    20201013_231817.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 21

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi all, first time posting on this. So far I've found this forum very useful. I have 2 10 month old Hermanns. Have made them a lovely enclosure with rocks and coco coir. But now I'm a bit stuck...
So I started to grow a kale plant in the enclosure, and noticed these tiny little white bugs on the pot. So I've taken the pot and threw it outside straight away. But I'm noticing them in the coir and on their log. They're about 1mm big.
Can someone please identify them? Are they harmful? And how can I get rid of them??
I can't quite tell from the photo but the bugs may be springtails which are not harmful. You don't need to get rid of them if that is what they are. Actually they will eat a lot of the detritus and spillage in the enclosure, including tortoise droppings.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
These don't look like springtails to me. They are probably a plant eater, and will die off in the absence of any live plant to feed on.

RJ0n35

Oldbury
The photo isnt great because they're so tiny. I haven't noticed any more today but will be having a thorough look when the little one has gone to bed!
Are planteaters harmful to my tort babies?