Tiny white insects infesting terrarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

kandixcakes

5 Year Member
I have a baby (hatchling) Carolina terrapene major (Gulf Coast Box Turtle) in a 29 gallon terrarium. He seems to be doing wonderfully but there are these tiny white insects in the substrate which is consists of organic potting soil and peat moss. I've done complete soil changes, treated my current soil with NEEM II ready to use spray, and treated my plants along with their roots with the spray but I can't get these guys killed off. They're about the size of a pin, white, crawling in the soil, not effecting the plant growth of the plants I have potted in the terrarium. Like I said, my baby seems unaffected but I was pretty unsettled today when I noticed a few crawling on his shell. I'm concerned that they might be harmful to Jullian (my baby tortoise). Should I be worried? How can I treat my terrarium and Jullian if so?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi kandixcakes:

Welcome to the Tortoise forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

The bugs aren't harmful. They come with the soil, so you will never get rid of them. You can add some other bugs, like sow bugs, and they will eat the little pin-sized bugs.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would imagine the baby box turtle might even eat the bugs, if he can catch them.

kandixcakes

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi kandixcakes:

Welcome to the Tortoise forum!!

What would you like for us to call your?

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

The bugs aren't harmful. They come with the soil, so you will never get rid of them. You can add some other bugs, like sow bugs, and they will eat the little pin-sized bugs.

Thanks so much!
I think you're asking my turtle's name? It's Jullian. Also, I live in the Gulf Coast Region of the United States. (Mississippi-Louisiana area)

kandixcakes

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I would imagine the baby box turtle might even eat the bugs, if he can catch them.

Thanks! I don't know if he can, they're so small and incredibly quick.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry, kandixcakes, that was a typo. It should have said, "What would you like us to call YOU?"

Status
Not open for further replies.