TO NAME OR NOT TO NAME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
I name my pets, but if i was a breeder or a rescue I might not. I do have a small problem with my little CDTs. One had a slightly deformed shell when I got her so I named her Shelbi. The other was more friendly and would bob his head when I petted him/her so became Bob. Now Shelbi's shell is no longer deformed and I cant tell them apart. They were tiny when I got them. BTW~ My old car had a name, but my new one does not yet.

M

Maggie Cummings

Having a name is easier then saying, "That Eastern box turtle that I got from Mass", or "that blind box turtle' or that "2 legged pond turtle", however, my friend Robyn to whom I am usually talking has no idea who Ginger or Bright Eyes or Wobbles is so I end up saying "Ginger that Eastern box turtle that I got from Mass", or "Bright Eyes, that blind box turtle' or " Wobbles, that 2 legged pond turtle" :p

JenniferinFL

5 Year Member
Around Daytona Beach, FL
I don't think naming is necessary for animals that probably won't be able to learn their name. My tortoise doesn't have a real name, he's just Tortie or Mr Tortie or Mr Turtle depending on the day. We had named him/her Flash when we first got him, but, it just didn't stick.
I also don't name my tarantulas. I think 3 of them have been named. For some reason the Rose Hairs always end up with a name.. lol.. I have no idea why they get a name and the other ones don't. It just doesn't seem necessary.
But, back forever ago I raised show rabbits and they ALL had names. Even little babies I didn't plan to keep all had names. I'm not sure if any of my rabbits ever learned their individual names or just learned to equate my voice with food.

Probably not naming a pet makes it seem like there's no emotional connection there. So, for the sake of fitting in more with the dog/cat owners, it may not be a bad idea to name them anyways. While I don't think tortoises, turtles or other reptiles NEED a name, it may not be a bad idea anyways since many people would be horrified if someone had a pet that didn't have a name. Then the pet just sounds like an object to people who don't understand the difference between naming a dog that will learn it's name and naming an animal that will never learn its name.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
If you spend enough time w/ your tort(s), he/she/they will eventually learn their name (if only because responding gets 'em a treat! :D)...clever little creatures! :cool:

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Yourlocalpoet said:
Saying that I did used to have a budgie called Spitfire.

Classic! One of my favorite planes from WWII history.

TORTOMANIA

5 Year Member
BUFFALO NY
I JUST DONT LIKE IT WHEN I SEE AN ADD ON CRAIGS LIST THAT SAYS
"LITTLE BITTY FOO FOO" NEEDS A GOOD HOME
YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT KIND OF ANIMAL IT IS, SOME PEOPLE I THINK JUST TREAT THEIR PETS TOO WELL.
I MEAN KEEP IN MIND THAT THEY ARE HERE FOR OUR ENJOYMENT. WE ARE THE MASTERS. THINK OF THAT NEXT TIME YOU SEE SOMEONE SCOOPIN POOP, OTHERWISE THEY SHOULD BE KEPT OUT IN THE WILD (TORTS)

CAPS LOCK IS THE CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOOL

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
TORTOMANIA said:
I JUST DONT LIKE IT WHEN I SEE AN ADD ON CRAIGS LIST THAT SAYS
"LITTLE BITTY FOO FOO" NEEDS A GOOD HOME
YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT KIND OF ANIMAL IT IS, SOME PEOPLE I THINK JUST TREAT THEIR PETS TOO WELL.
I MEAN KEEP IN MIND THAT THEY ARE HERE FOR OUR ENJOYMENT. WE ARE THE MASTERS. THINK OF THAT NEXT TIME YOU SEE SOMEONE SCOOPIN POOP, OTHERWISE THEY SHOULD BE KEPT OUT IN THE WILD (TORTS)

CAPS LOCK IS THE CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOOL

I usually wouldn't touch something like this with a 10 ft. pole.....but....you're joking...right??????????????

TORTOMANIA

5 Year Member
BUFFALO NY
not really joking ,why do say that.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT OUR PERSEPTION OF THE ANIMAL IN OUR LIFE, AND WHAT ROLE IT PLAYS , SOME PEOPLE HAVE PETS, OTHERS HAVE INTERESTING ANIMALS THAT THEY LIKE TO RAISE STUDY AND LEARN ABOUT. TO ME WHEN YOU GIVE A TORTOISE A NAME IT IS PART OF YOUR "FAMILY" . TO ME THEY ARE NOT PART OF MY FAMILY, BUT HERE TO MAKE MY FAMILY HAPPY. AND I JUST THINK SOME PEOPLE GO OVERBOARD(MORE WITH DOGS AND CATS ). I DON'T MEAN TO AFFEND ANYONE , JUST VOICING MY OPINION

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You are not offending anyone and I certainly don't want to offend you. I guess we just have a different perception of our relationship with our animals. I consider all my animals beloved family members and treat all of them with absolute respect and love.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
TORTOMANIA said:
not really joking ,why do say that.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT OUR PERSEPTION OF THE ANIMAL IN OUR LIFE, AND WHAT ROLE IT PLAYS , SOME PEOPLE HAVE PETS, OTHERS HAVE INTERESTING ANIMALS THAT THEY LIKE TO RAISE STUDY AND LEARN ABOUT. TO ME WHEN YOU GIVE A TORTOISE A NAME IT IS PART OF YOUR "FAMILY" . TO ME THEY ARE NOT PART OF MY FAMILY, BUT HERE TO MAKE MY FAMILY HAPPY. AND I JUST THINK SOME PEOPLE GO OVERBOARD(MORE WITH DOGS AND CATS ). I DON'T MEAN TO AFFEND ANYONE , JUST VOICING MY OPINION

Then you won't mind if some of us disagree w/ the attitude: "SOME PEOPLE I THINK JUST TREAT THEIR PETS TOO WELL.
I MEAN KEEP IN MIND THAT THEY ARE HERE FOR OUR ENJOYMENT. WE ARE THE MASTERS."

I am not my pets' "master" and they are not my "slaves"...we share the same space and I'm happy to be responsible for their welfare, in return for them making my world a better place.

OurZoo

5 Year Member
Glendora, CA
Then you won't mind if some of us disagree w/ the attitude: "SOME PEOPLE I THINK JUST TREAT THEIR PETS TOO WELL.

I am not my pets' "master" and they are not my "slaves"...we share the same space and I'm happy to be responsible for their welfare, in return for them making my world a better place.
[/quote]

Bravo!

samstar

5 Year Member

I'm sorry, say what you want but I totally disagree, I and a lot around me feel that WE are lucky to have them. One good example is Dogs, they make very good therapy in hospitals and I have seen it with my own eyes how they have helped many peoples life change. WE ARE NOT THEIR MASTERS and I stand by this 100%! I am very sure many or 99% would agree with what I have just said..

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Humans like to sort, categorize, and name things. I don't think there is anything wrong either way with this. My 4 older torts have names, my 4 babies do not. Part of that is that I am hard-pressed to find a difference between them yet.

This discussion reminds me of an observation in one of the "All Creatures Great and Small" books, where they notice that most of the small herd keepers name their cattle- Rosie, Daisy, etc., while the bigger herds tend to use numbers. Another bit somewhere about talks about how often horses and cattle are named, and how rarely sheep and such are, with the thought being that some animals are harder to tell apart than others.

Humans like to sort, categorize, and name things. I don't think there is anything wrong either way with this. My 4 older torts have names, my 4 babies do not. Part of that is that I am hard-pressed to find a difference between them yet.

This discussion reminds me of an observation in one of the "All Creatures Great and Small" books, where they notice that most of the small herd keepers name their cattle- Rosie, Daisy, etc., while the bigger herds tend to use numbers. Another bit somewhere about talks about how often horses and cattle are named, and how rarely sheep and such are, with the thought being that some animals are harder to tell apart than others.

JenniferinFL

5 Year Member
Around Daytona Beach, FL
Madkins007 said:

Ha! You referenced my favorite book of all time! I've never run into a single other person who has read the series. I have a weird obsession with picking up any James Herriot books I see at a thrift store even if I already have that one. I've tried to talk my husband into reading them, my family into reading them, but, no dice. I just love his writing style.

To get back to the discussion at hand, I don't think there's any such thing as treating an animal "too well" as someone else referenced. I love seeing genuinely spoiled pets. Of course, that's so long as they are being spoiled in a species appropriate manner. I don't think a dog having 100 pink fuzzy sweaters is spoiled as much as tortured..lol
Though, at one point I had a ferret that I swear loved the game of dress-up.. He was always trying to squeeze into small spaces, so we used to cut the toes out of old socks and cut little arm holes in them and he'd wear them. Eventually he had a little ferret wardrobe, but, only because he started it crawling into socks. But, I wouldn't consider that 'spoiling' him since it really served him no real benefit.
The best species appropriate care you can provide SHOULD be the standard for any animal you keep regardless of where it falls on the food chain or level of intelligence.

Anyone who can't stand someone else treating their pet well is probably just annoyed by it because they know they aren't doing the best they could by their own pets.

samstar

5 Year Member
JenniferinFL said:
Madkins007 said:

Ha! You referenced my favorite book of all time! I've never run into a single other person who has read the series. I have a weird obsession with picking up any James Herriot books I see at a thrift store even if I already have that one. I've tried to talk my husband into reading them, my family into reading them, but, no dice. I just love his writing style.

To get back to the discussion at hand, I don't think there's any such thing as treating an animal "too well" as someone else referenced. I love seeing genuinely spoiled pets. Of course, that's so long as they are being spoiled in a species appropriate manner. I don't think a dog having 100 pink fuzzy sweaters is spoiled as much as tortured..lol
Though, at one point I had a ferret that I swear loved the game of dress-up.. He was always trying to squeeze into small spaces, so we used to cut the toes out of old socks and cut little arm holes in them and he'd wear them. Eventually he had a little ferret wardrobe, but, only because he started it crawling into socks. But, I wouldn't consider that 'spoiling' him since it really served him no real benefit.
The best species appropriate care you can provide SHOULD be the standard for any animal you keep regardless of where it falls on the food chain or level of intelligence.

Anyone who can't stand someone else treating their pet well is probably just annoyed by it because they know they aren't doing the best they could by their own pets.

Very well said, especially your last paragraph.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I name some of my turtles and tortoises, but not all. If they come with a name, it stays with them. Other wise they only get names if they do something that "gives" them a name. I could be a look, a personality, whatever it takes for a name to fit them. For the most part, I don't consider my tortoises to be pets. To me they are wild animals I am given the honor of trying to keep alive, keep healthy, and content.

Our other animals are usually named, with the exception being we don't always come up with fitting names for all the stray cats/kittens we field before they leave us.

Angi said:
BTW~ My old car had a name, but my new one does not yet.
:D me too! :D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
James Herriot is one of my favorites of all time. Whenever I don't feel well, I pick up that particular book and forget that I'm sick.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
TORTOMANIA said:
THIS THREAD IS ABOUT OUR PERSEPTION OF THE ANIMAL IN OUR LIFE, AND WHAT ROLE IT PLAYS , SOME PEOPLE HAVE PETS, OTHERS HAVE INTERESTING ANIMALS THAT THEY LIKE TO RAISE STUDY AND LEARN ABOUT. AND I JUST THINK SOME PEOPLE GO OVERBOARD

Well not really, this thread is about whether your tortoise has a name or not, I consider my tortoise to be my pet, but that doesn't mean it isn't an interesting animal that I'd like to (and have) raised, studied and learnt about. Also how is giving a tortoise a name 'going overboard?' It's not like she has her own bedroom or anything. Oh wait, yes she does :p

old4x4

10 Year Member!
kyryah said:
My tortoises all have names, mainly because when I am talking to someone, it is easier to say the name Amara than explain every time "the biggest of the three female Redfoots that I adopted a couple of months ago." It is just an identifying feature.

Exactly my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.