Too much of a good thing

EBT.owner

Location (City and/or State)
USA
PXL_20220301_164842290_2.jpg
Hello TFO,

My EBT Enki is still relatively tiny but seems to have come into their own in terms of eating in the last few weeks.

Previously, I had been feeding Enki Zoo Med Aquatic Turtle Hatchling Pellets:
ZM-92_Natural_Aquatic_Turtle_Food_Hatchling_Formula.jpg
Enki would eat some of the pellets, but really seemed to be surviving, versus thriving.

Once I added worms to their feeding schedule, however, they became a different turtle.

canstockphoto27315421.jpg

I've been feeding them worms out of my compost pile and Enki has come alive since I began the live feedings. When I put the worms into Enki's enclosure, they stand up tall and crane their neck around and stalk the worm prior to attacking and eating it.

My concern, or question, revolves around quantity: can Enki eat as many worms as they want to, or should their intake be limited.

Example: I fed Enki, weighing 15g, three worms, each weighing more or less 1g. Enki polished off the worms in just a few minutes and seemed eager to continue the feast when I dropped in a fourth worm. If they finished that worm they'd have eaten nearly 25% of their body weigh-in food for the day (in a matter of minutes).

Where should I draw the line in feeding a hatchling EBT?

Thanks in advance for your help and answers.

EBTO

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
Welcome EBTO.....cool name....I had a hydroplane as a kid that I raced so I researched water-names....and Enki is one of the Anunnaki, of Water, right?

How old is he? 15 gms 2-3 mos? He looks fantastic. He's a real bad a** when he tears into a worm, isn't he?

imho, I'd keep the cap on those pellets and sub fresh vegs & fruits & worms & slugs and stuff. Like kids, they develop tastes for things at different times. They tend to like red things.....even when small, they like chopped up, (key word there) strawberries, tomato, watermelon, cantaloupe, etc....but look how small his mouth is, keep his life a little easy with the fruit but the worms and slugs he will be fine with....and no worries, he will stop eating when full. It's kind of amazing how they get in and out of patterns of eating. He might eat 5 worms at one sitting and be looking at you in the afternoon, for more! Then in 3 weeks, he could dig in and hide till you post here worrying about it 4 days later! LOL

Just keep in mind that he needs to be moist, not dry....and warm........83F or so to digest his food.....

have fun, there's some really amazing talent here, just look around! Speaking of which, your first stop should be the pro class care sheets your find if you look up...written by folks far smarter than I and have really made it easy.

good luck, and my boat was "Pisces".....

jeff