Too much time flipped on back?

kai.oki

Location (City and/or State)
Belgium
About 10 days ago after re-organising our little tort's habitat, she had 3 or 4 days of NON STOP activity. She was walking and climbing around and around for 12-13 hours at a go, even after her lights went off. Unfortunately about a week ago, I found her on her back in the corner of the enclosure. My guess is that she had been that way for at least 30-45 minutes. I slowly helped her back over, as she couldn't seem to do it herself. She seemed a bit stressed and went to sleep in her hide. Ever since then, she's been sleeping for 20-22 hours a day. She wakes up round 4:30am (for some strange reason), wanders around a bit in the dark before her lights come on at 6, has her bath, basks for about half an hour, then returns to her hide to sleep. She has only eaten twice in the last 10 days, and hasn't pooped in 5 or 6 days. Is there any chance that having been flipped on her back for that long could have caused an issue?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When you see a tortoise with "non stop activity", rushing around, climbing, etc. it's because they are frantically looking for a way back to where they belong, or frantically looking for a safe place to hide. They don't like change. Just make sure that the temperature is what it is supposed to be. Give her a couple hiding places so she has a choice. It also helps to have some visual barriers (plants, decorations, etc.) so it's not a great big open space. If she's still acting this way in a couple weeks, then there's something wrong, but hopefully, with a little time, she'll get used to her newly organized enclosure and go back to being the tortoise she used to be.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's always possible. When a tort is thought to be flipped for a long time, they should always be given a warm soak. Many, if not all, will pee when flipped, possibly getting dehydrated. Give her extra warm soaks daily and just keep an eye on her.
Most torts when they get their homes reorganized will spend lots of time checking everything out and once they are satisfied, will go back to a more lazy life. My guess is this is what your seeing, more then it being something wrong from the flip.

kai.oki

Belgium
If she's still acting this way in a couple weeks, then there's something wrong, but hopefully, with a little time, she'll get used to her newly organized enclosure and go back to being the tortoise she used to be.

Thank you for your input Yvonne! I hope so too. We haven't had her for very long so it's difficult to tell how she is 'normally'. But hopefully at least a little more active soon :)

kai.oki

Belgium
It's always possible. When a tort is thought to be flipped for a long time, they should always be given a warm soak. Many, if not all, will pee when flipped, possibly getting dehydrated. Give her extra warm soaks daily and just keep an eye on her.
Most torts when they get their homes reorganized will spend lots of time checking everything out and once they are satisfied, will go back to a more lazy life. My guess is this is what your seeing, more then it being something wrong from the flip.

Thanks for your help Wellington! (I forgot to mention that I gave her a soak after she had flipped, as I thought that may help.) Yes it may well be a coincidence- I was just concerned because of length of time spent sleeping, and the no eating or pooping. Will keep a close eye on her.

kai.oki

Belgium
@wellington @Yvonne G - sorry to bother you both, but just wanted to check up on this. She is still not eating, is sleeping 22 hours a day and has lost 15 grams in the last 10 days...I know that doesn't seem much but she was only 170 grams to begin with. Today in the short time she was awake, I saw her eating the orchid bark from her substrate! Is it possible this is just a hibernation thing? She seems kind of disoriented.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
What are the temps in the enclosure? Could it be you are keeping the temps to low? Just a thought

kai.oki

Belgium
What are the temps in the enclosure? Could it be you are keeping the temps to low? Just a thought

I've been checking them regularly- her enclosure is square, so in the coldest corners / edges it is 19°C, but the cool side itself is 21-25°C. Basking side is 25°C-30°C. It's 37°C under the bigger basking lamp and 33°C under the smaller one.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Sorry, had to do some conversions. Maybe try keeping the whole enclosure at 25 to 30c. Around 80f. Temps may help out if she is trying to burmate (hybernate). The basking temps seems good. Is this an adult?

kai.oki

Belgium
Sorry, had to do some conversions. Maybe try keeping the whole enclosure at 25 to 30c. Around 80f. Temps may help out if she is trying to burmate (hybernate). The basking temps seems good. Is this an adult?

Thank you for your help Cheryl- No she's not an adult, she's around 2 years old. Unfortunately I'm not sure I could keep the whole enclosure at 25 with my current set up- I'd need to run the heat in the whole apartment at 25, which would add around $150 to my gas bill for the month :-( Do ceramic heat lamps work well for raising temps, or do they only heat concentrated areas? I was thinking maybe that would help, even if just to make her hide area warmer at night.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Yes, they would help. You may have to close off part of the enclosure. Put plastic or something tented over it to keep humidity up and heat in. I believe a two year old should be kept at about 25 to 30 degrees anyway. They should be kept in a humid environment so they don’t get prymided. A closed chamber would keep better heat and humidity. Hopefully, some with a bit more info will come along soon. I have all adults at this time. We will get you the help though
@Tom
@Yvonne G