Rising Hours Before Lights Are On

kai.oki

Location (City and/or State)
Belgium
My apologies for the frequent posts- I am very new to this and really appreciate all the help and info that I've gotten from experienced members here! I just had a question regarding sleep patterns.

A while ago I started noticing that Oki (my 2 year old) was going to sleep in her hide earlier and earlier in the day. Used to be round 3pm, then it became 1pm, then noon, then as early as 11am. Her lights are on a timer and come on at 6:30am, then normally it would take her half an hour to stir and come out of the hide to bask. I noticed on a couple of occasions that she was already up and out of her hide at 6:30. Came down earlier each morning to check when she was getting up...first at 6, then 5:30, then 5....each morning she was up and out walking in the dark. I'm really not sure just how early she is getting up! Is this normal behaviour? Should I adjust her daylight hours or just leave her be?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
My apologies for the frequent posts. I'm really not sure just how early she is getting up! Is this normal behaviour? Should I adjust her daylight hours or just leave her be?

For me, this is the first post of yours that you’ve put up, so there is no need for an apology. Besides, most of us have no problems helping fellow keepers learn.
As for your tortoise getting up early, I’d make sure that your temperatures are good. I know that when it’s a heatwave, tortoises still need to eat and drink. So I’d first check that my daytime temperatures aren’t too hot.

kai.oki

Belgium
As for your tortoise getting up early, I’d make sure that your temperatures are good. I know that when it’s a heatwave, tortoises still need to eat and drink. So I’d first check that my daytime temperatures aren’t too hot.

Thank you! I check the temps regularly, ranges from 18.5 to 20 celcius in the corners & on the cool side, warm side ranges from 25-27. It's about 26 in her warm hide. So I don't think it's too hot- we're going into Winter here so no potential for a heatwave!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! I check the temps regularly, ranges from 18.5 to 20 celcius in the corners & on the cool side, warm side ranges from 25-27. It's about 26 in her warm hide. So I don't think it's too hot- we're going into Winter here so no potential for a heatwave!

They are often active in the mornings and evenings to avoid the mid day heat. What is the temp directly under your basking lamp?

What type of bulbs are you using? Sometimes they will avoid the lights because it burns their eyes.

kai.oki

Belgium
What is the temp directly under your basking lamp?

What type of bulbs are you using? Sometimes they will avoid the lights because it burns their eyes.

Directly underneath the bigger basking lamp is 36-37. Under the smaller one it's 32-33 (we added a second lamp as temps were too cold without it.) They're both UVB Mercury Vapor Lamps, a 165 watt and a 100 watt.