Too much water in food?

ccjcc81

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, TX
I've been buying wheatgrass for my Sulcata, but when it's about a week old it dries out a little and yellows. I mince it up and soak it in cool water for a few minutes to firm it up. Then I take a pinch out of the bowl and give it directly to my Sulcata. However, this morning I read an article about Sulcata food that warned heavily against feeding food with lots of water. My grass is dripping wet when I feed it to him, so he's ingesting excess water with it. I've seen him burp while eating it. Any possible health problems caused by this?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been buying wheatgrass for my Sulcata, but when it's about a week old it dries out a little and yellows. I mince it up and soak it in cool water for a few minutes to firm it up. Then I take a pinch out of the bowl and give it directly to my Sulcata. However, this morning I read an article about Sulcata food that warned heavily against feeding food with lots of water. My grass is dripping wet when I feed it to him, so he's ingesting excess water with it. I've seen him burp while eating it. Any possible health problems caused by this?
Almost everything you read, or watch on YT, about sulcata care and feeding is wrong. I recently started watching videos on dubia roach care, sulcata baby care, and several other reptile topics, and it is disturbing how wrong the majority of the assertions and state are. Some of this stuff is just made up, and then other people just keep repeating it. Its awful.

If you water your wheatgrass plots, keep them in a sunny window sill, and just trim the tops off to feed to your tortoise, you will get about 8 or 9 cutting from them. I've considered planting them in a pot with some soil, but never tried it. I bet they'd keep growing and producing that way though.

Its fine to wet it. If your tortoise ingests more water than it needs on any given day, it will simply pee out the excess. You can not harm your tortoise in any why by keeping it hydrated. Whatever the source of that article was, its garbage. Completely false and total rubbish, as most of the info out there is.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wow…that really is some bad info - too much water ingested via the amount attached to some wheat grass? Id be interested in seeing the source of that info. Anyhow, Tom has set the record straight…. Stay clear of non-TFO provided information.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I’m not sure of your tortoise‘s size or what your enclosure is like, but I grow wheat grass seeds right in my Russian‘s PVC chamber. I just bury the seeds in the orchid bark substrate and forget about them. They grow wonderfully if you grow them near the UV tube. They last for weeks because my Russian doesn’t eat it, but it looks great and requires really no effort. They get watered when I water the other plants.

Attachments

• FC13C140-4935-49E0-BB34-9EF867F9100C.jpeg
    FC13C140-4935-49E0-BB34-9EF867F9100C.jpeg
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 9