Tort diets according to species?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
If a plant is safe for one tort, is it safe for all torts? They come from varying regions, so there would be different plants available if they were in the wild. Is it just a straight forward toxicity issue?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Not necessarily so. For instance, my Manouria tortoises eat plants from the toxic plants list, with no problems, because those plants grow in their native land. They eat iris and the bulbs, collocasia and allocasia - a main staple of their diet in their homeland. Pathos is listed on the toxic lists, however, it grows wild in South America, and redfoots eat it.

I wish there were a site that shows continents and what plants grow there. It would come in handy when planting habitats for specific tortoises.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Thank you Yvonne, I figured there was a difference. It'd be too easy if they could all eat the same plants!
Since I'm waiting for either a yearling leopard, or a yearling redfoot I'm trying to plan...Of course who knows what I may end up with by the time its all said and done :)

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
If you go to wikipedia, they have articles titled "flora of ..." that present at least a snapshot of what kind of plants you can expect to find in a given country. Of course, you need to figure out which countries your tort naturally comes from and go to all of those countries' pages to get a "complete" incomplete list, but its a start.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The problem I see over and over is that MANY, if not MOST of the plants on dangerous plant lists got there because they are a risk to humans, mammal pets, or livestock. There is very little research on plants known to be toxic to reptiles,much less to tortoises.

Dr. Mader's "Reptile Medicine and Surgery", for example, has this rather short list:
- Heath, known toxic to iguanas.
- Yews, known toxic to caged birds, which may indicate toxicity in reptiles.
- Lilies (his list includes day lilies), known toxic to iguanas (many keepers have seen evidence of tortoises eating lilies, though).
- Avocado plants, including the fruit, known toxic to birds, although iguanas have been seen eating fallen fruit with no apparent effects.
- Castor beans, contain ricin, a wide-spectrum toxin.
- Cycads and Sago Palms, no known antidote, no examples of which species.
- Holly, poinsettia, mistletoe, no species given, probably not a major concern though (toxicity probably exaggerated)
- Oleander, foxglove, and lily of the valley. Contain heart-active drugs fatal to most animals.
- Ivy is considered risky but probably not serious
- Plants with nicotine tobacco and products), and marijuana
- Oak, all parts but especially young seedlings

Even here- very little info on toxicity to tortoises. One thing that makes this topic really interesting is that all turtles and tortoises are known to be resistant to a wide range of toxins, medications, anesthetics, etc.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Ever since this tort keeping (or not, as it is at the moment) adventure started. I find myself looking at all plants, wild and cultivated, wondering if they are edible, now I have to look up two care sheets. Just in case. This is killing me, by the way! I don't doubt that the woman will find me a yearling tort, but I want one NOW ;D

shawn123

5 Year Member
all types of tortoise have their own unique diet of their own. they cannot be eating the same type of food or else they might fall sick and develop health problems

if you wan to know about different types of tortoise diet, just come to my website

http://www.tortoisediet.org

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shawn:

Welcome to the forum. We'd all appreciate it if you would go to the "introduction" forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.