Tort flipping on his back!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuntdouble

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, Ca
So I have an xl hideout for Rawlo, and for some reason this guy just keeps trying to climb on top of it. He's flipped twice now, luckily I was home and noticed. I was just curios what the dangers are of him being on his back, as well as why he would be trying to climb his house. Yesterday he climbed it and pooed on top of it, kind of odd but yeah thats what went down haha. He has a basking light where he can climb up too so I dont think its that he wants more heat or anything.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
i think it gives them something to do :) must get bored in that enclosure all day, he probably wants some excitement ! but it is dangerous for them to be on their back like that for too long, im not sure of all the dangers but i know that the sun shining down on them when their flipped like that is bad and im pretty sure it could kill them if left like that for too long

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Their viscerae compress their lungs when inverted. Also, yes, if under a heated source when flipped, they can easily die from hyperthermia.

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
How do you guys think they have managed to survive in their natural environment for a couple of million years ? Have you ever seen a redfoot that does not manage to get back on his feet again, all on his own or with a little help from his redfoot mates ?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Red-foots have more limited movement of their rear legs than most other tortoises do, and seem to have a tougher time righting themselves. It has often been observed that Red-foots help each other, but no one has established that it is intentional or anything more than curiosity and happy accidents.

As for the risks of being upside down- giant tortoises were kept alive as meat on sailing ships for months without dying, and were kept upside down in big piles most of the time. The lungs are compressed, but the tortoise has a fairly small need for fresh oxygen and a very slow metabolism- although it almost certainly is not comfortable. They will eventually starve or dehydrate, and being in the weather exposes them to heat stroke or chilling. They are also vulnerable to predators.

Red-foots are a very curious species and will try to explore any part of the habitat they possibly can. I would suggest making it easier to get up there- perhaps a ramp or pile of stable substrate. It would enrich the habitat nicely.

stuntdouble

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, Ca
Thanks for the input... He does go outside so that cant be it. I did think maybe he just liked it up there but he doesn't seem to just chill up there, kind of moves around the jumps down face first from the high point... No joke, its like he's doing it for fun but he just faceplants into the substrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.