tort handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
I've had my yearling sulcata for about 3 months now after getting him from a college student who left him at home while she was at school on newspapers and hay with 2 low watt bulbs above him. I didnt get any info on his past handling or care bc I picked him up from the dad who had no intrest in the pet. Anyways...he's been living the super good life with my fiance and i, but he does not like being handled or touched at all. When a hand comes near him he sucks right in his shell. Anyone know if he might get over this or have any tricks on how to change his habits?

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
How old is he/she? Torts have different personalities just like other pets and people. My torts were also rescues, but had been held frequently, so after a few days they got used to us and didn't "duck in" as much or came right back out.
I found that talking to the a lot and always as I approached so they weren't startled when a human just appeared in front if them, helped a lot.
The few times it has been warm enough to take them outside, they wander around and explore until a neighbor or person out walking for exercise notices us and walks over. As soon as a stranger approaches, they rush (well, tort version of rush) back over to me and hide between my feet or under my legs if I am sitting in the grass. It's so darn adorable!
Good luck

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NY
My Anaia does this. I rescued her as well. It's been about 4 months and she's still as timid as she was before.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
My tortoise's original keeper(s) were my grand-daughter, 4 years old then, and her 2 year old sibling. Their father took care of him, but the kids were there everyday to play with him. When he came to live with me he was afraid of everything. He went inside his shell whenever anything moved in the room. I just made it a point of handling him as infrequently as possible. I let him develop his own routine as far as eating, being active, and sleeping. Handling him only to soak him and take him outside for some sunshine. Six months later he was much more sociable. I believe that it just takes some time for them to adjust and develop a routine that makes them feel secure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give him time. Some take a long time others not so much. Try not to approach from over top of him. That's where some of his enemies come from, flying over head.:D

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice everyone. He's approximately 1.5 yrs old. Sometimes I play music for him when ppl aren't around him so hopefully that will get him accustomed to sound, but I think once I can get him outside, he'll open up more and more. And when he gets a little bigger too. It's hard not to come up to him without being above him.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
This can take lots of time, just make slow movements and be gentle.
Handel it everyday, but not too much.
My sully is about 10 months now but he's very comfortable with me, i don't handle him a lot.
Just everyday to soak him, and take him to his indoor/outdoor enclosure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.