Tort with an underbite

Afitz12

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
image.jpg My tortoise has a pretty noticeable underbite. She's had it for the last 2 months and I'm not sure if it's affecting her eating or anything else about her daily life. Her bottom "beak" or lip sticks out pretty far. Should I get a vet to do something or should I just let it be?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
You need to trim it - either yourself with nail clippers if you are confident or have a vet do it. Leaving the beak overgrown like that risks it breaking, which can cause discomfort and create a potential site for infection if the break goes too deep.

Afitz12

Southern California
You need to trim it - either yourself with nail clippers if you are confident or have a vet do it. Leaving the beak overgrown like that risks it breaking, which can cause discomfort and create a potential site for infection if the break goes too deep.

The thing is I'm afraid it'll hurt her if I clip her beak

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This problem occurs because a tortoise didn't get the right amount of calcium when growing. You must keep after it and trim it a couple times (maybe more) a year. I had several Manouria intergrades and all of them had this very same problem. We used a Dremmel on the beaks and had to keep doing it twice a year the whole time I owned them.

Afitz12

Southern California
This problem occurs because a tortoise didn't get the right amount of calcium when growing. You must keep after it and trim it a couple times (maybe more) a year. I had several Manouria intergrades and all of them had this very same problem. We used a Dremmel on the beaks and had to keep doing it twice a year the whole time I owned them.

Thank you! I'll make sure to call in to a vet because I'm too nervous to do it myself. Is there any time of vitamin that I can feed her to help with calcium growth?

Bee62

Germany
Hello,

feed cuttlefish bones. Sulcatas love them and they contain a lot of calcium.
Your tort can eat cuttlefish bones as much as she/he wants, and if your tort gets enough fresh greens, weeds and gras, she/he needs no extra vitamins.
You should visit a VET very quick because a tort with such a deformed beak ( underbite ) has diffieculties when he is eating.

Last edited:

Afitz12

Southern California
Hello,

feed cuttlefish bones. Sulcatas love them and they contain a lot of calcium.
Your tort can eat cuttlefish bones as much as she/he wants, and if your tort gets enough fresh greens, weeds and gras, she/he needs no extra vitamins.

Thank you!!