tortise in SF Bay

p. ostra

Location (City and/or State)
Union City/ Ca
hi i really want to buy a sulcata tortise but i live in the bay area california and it gets cold here during the winter . i have wanted one a long time but i dont want to put buy one if living here will put it in danger due to the weather. i know it will live indoors for the first few years but i am more worried about when it is older and bigger and it moves to my backyard. will it survive the cold of the sf bay area ?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I live in Ohio and my Sully does just fine. You will need a heated night box for the colder months, of course. You will need plenty of open area to allow it to graze as well. Sullies can be expensive to raise and get very large. Is there a particular reason why you prefer a sulcata?

p. ostra

Union City/ Ca
I've had a couple turtles when I was younger love em for some reason but I wanted a sulcata cuz of the size they can reach and there long life spans something my daughter can love as she grows as well. As far as the heat box is there one I can buy or something u make and will the turtle find it every night or will I have to guide it there?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I've had a couple turtles when I was younger love em for some reason but I wanted a sulcata cuz of the size they can reach and there long life spans something my daughter can love as she grows as well. As far as the heat box is there one I can buy or something u make and will the turtle find it every night or will I have to guide it there?
I've found it better just to construct your own (much more fun too!). @Tom has a ton of design ideas here: https://tortoiseforum.org/search/99651/?q=heated+night+box&c[users]=Tom&o=relevance

Some folks will convert a shed into an outdoor tortoise house. I've also seen old chicken coops used. I built mine from scratch and enjoyed every second of it. Cheaper to do it that way as well. There are places that sell ready-made outdoor enclosures, but they aren't cheap, especially when you add in the shipping costs.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Frankly, being a native San Franciscan...my advice would be to do a heck of a lot more research...a heated night box won't do for a 50 lb Sulcata, they need massive amounts of place to pace...lots of grass and weeds to eat...here's a picture of how mine are set up...I keep Sulcata in Oregon now...your weather is not the problem..lots of roaming space and grass and weeds to eat...may be
015.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hi i really want to buy a sulcata tortise but i live in the bay area california and it gets cold here during the winter . i have wanted one a long time but i dont want to put buy one if living here will put it in danger due to the weather. i know it will live indoors for the first few years but i am more worried about when it is older and bigger and it moves to my backyard. will it survive the cold of the sf bay area ?
Any species can be kept anywhere in the world with enough time money and effort. To keep a tropical giant that need lots of space in a cold clammy climate is possible, but how much money do you want to spend, how much effort and time do you want to put in every day? It can be done, but there are species that would be much easier, and much better suited to your climate.

p. ostra

Union City/ Ca
im willing to put the time and effort and money i just wanna know the steps i have to take to raise them. ive been researching for months. some say raise em inside for the first 5 years some say you dont have to. i just wanna know the steps and everything ill need to raise it. like the shelter for outside does it need a lighting or a heating pad for when it gets cold out here?