Tortoise and change

CaggyQ

Location (City and/or State)
Donegal
Hi everyone,

My Russian tortoise is two years old and is growing bigger every day. He has the most gorgeous wee character, but he’s also very fussy and hates change. One problem I have is have hideaway cave: he LOVES it but he’s too wide to really get through it anymore. I have found him, and the cave, across his vivarium because he took it with him on his journey to the heat lamp. So I kept ordering caves but they were all too small and not his favourite cave. I recently ordered one specifically designed for a tortoise and it’s huge (but I’m not too worried because he’s getting a new, much bigger, vivarium next month). The only thing is that he refuses to sleep in it. He’d rather dig a hole in the ground and sleep in the dark for the night than snuggle up in his big cave. What do I do? Just want him to be happy!

Here’s a pic of him him dragging his old cave, and how he likes to snuggle.

Attachments

• FA5426F8-CDFA-4B97-B5E9-032DDA1DA8D7.jpeg
    FA5426F8-CDFA-4B97-B5E9-032DDA1DA8D7.jpeg
    510.1 KB · Views: 7
  • ED5530C0-471D-47A8-95DB-41E30FA7914D.jpeg
    ED5530C0-471D-47A8-95DB-41E30FA7914D.jpeg
    431 KB · Views: 7

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hi everyone,

My Russian tortoise is two years old and is growing bigger every day. He has the most gorgeous wee character, but he’s also very fussy and hates change. One problem I have is have hideaway cave: he LOVES it but he’s too wide to really get through it anymore. I have found him, and the cave, across his vivarium because he took it with him on his journey to the heat lamp. So I kept ordering caves but they were all too small and not his favourite cave. I recently ordered one specifically designed for a tortoise and it’s huge (but I’m not too worried because he’s getting a new, much bigger, vivarium next month). The only thing is that he refuses to sleep in it. He’d rather dig a hole in the ground and sleep in the dark for the night than snuggle up in his big cave. What do I do? Just want him to be happy!

Here’s a pic of him him dragging his old cave, and how he likes to snuggle.
I'm laughing because my RF Houdini moves his hide somewhere almost every night. He loves his hide (Walmart wash pan).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises dont like change but will get used to them fairly quickly. It's fine if he doesn't like the new cave. They normally would dig down in the ground anyway in the wild. If he wasn't happy digging down, he wouldn't do it.