Tortoise ate before brumation

arcanova

Location (City and/or State)
Nevada
So this is my first year taking care of my own tortoise and I learned a lot about brumation. I learned that if they eat and go into brumation the food might rot in their stomach. My desert tortoise ate a head of romaine lettuce before going inside and sleeping for a couple weeks now. I am afraid that it is rotting or his poop might poison him in some way. I wish to know more about this situation and what I can do about it. Thanks

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Maricopa, AZ
I have a Sulcata so I’m not at all knowledgeable about the best way to deal with this, but I would be very concerned, too. Maybe @Tom or @Yvonne G can provide guidance… where is your tortoise? I know you said he went “inside,” but is he accessible if you need to wake him? My gut tells me you’d need to wake him and make sure his stomach is completely empty before letting him go back into brumation, but I don’t know how to safely go about that, or if that’s even correct. Sorry I can’t help, but I’m sure Tom and/or Yvonne will be able to give you the proper guidance. Good luck, and please keep us posted on how he’s doing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So this is my first year taking care of my own tortoise and I learned a lot about brumation. I learned that if they eat and go into brumation the food might rot in their stomach. My desert tortoise ate a head of romaine lettuce before going inside and sleeping for a couple weeks now. I am afraid that it is rotting or his poop might poison him in some way. I wish to know more about this situation and what I can do about it. Thanks
That is not good. It could be fatal. You need to have some control over temps and conditions. Read these two threads for a better understanding, and feel free to ask lots of questions:

tortoisecanyon

San Diego, CA
What did you end up doing? I'm in a similar situation.