Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
I have taken advice! Wadding removed.

day 1) herbie avoided the area and slate
Day 3) put a flannel there instead
Day4) doesn’t use flannel or slate and does not go in the area at all now

he must have really liked the wadding….any advice?
They hate change so if so things change it can take time to adjust and it is also getting to know you and trust you etc.... your changes are good so it will be be ok over time. Get a routine with him and he will feel safe.

Charlotteandherbert

United Kingdom
They hate change so if so things change it can take time to adjust and it is also getting to know you and trust you etc.... your changes are good so it will be be ok over time. Get a routine with him and he will feel safe.
I don’t know that, thank you.

do you know why they hate change? Will he act like this if I moved everything around and is it best not to?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I guess they feel uncomfortable and scared. As you start and find your way there will be change but as soon as you can keep layout similar and when you clean replace like for like. It is also new smells and trust as your both new to each other.

Charlotteandherbert

United Kingdom
I guess they feel uncomfortable and scared. As you start and find your way there will be change but as soon as you can keep layout similar and when you clean replace like for like. It is also new smells and trust as your both new to each other.
Thanks Sarah.

seems within a few minutes of posting this he has gone into the flannel. This is the first time since the weekend he’s gone into the area or anywhere near the slate.

I not sure if it’s because it’s warm. But it’s full proof and he would not be able to pull at this.

fabric/wadding/flannel seems to be the only way after 5 days to get him to rest

Attachments

• A68BCBBF-6F00-4091-8AD2-F07E5BE44435.jpeg
    A68BCBBF-6F00-4091-8AD2-F07E5BE44435.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 3219589A-53BC-454B-B4DB-E76891DB9442.jpeg
    3219589A-53BC-454B-B4DB-E76891DB9442.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

Ruffinions

Yorkshire U.K.
Hi, best substrate is orchid bark fine have a look at swell reptile in UK they deliver. 20kg bag will work as you can get a nice deep substrate and it lasts a while. Use the slate under the heat lamp for basking. Wadding not good they poo and wee and soon it will be very dirty or a hazard .

Please read this care sheet and ask questions. There are breeders onhere so advise is genuine and from experience.

Providing the correct environment will give him and you years of fun and good health.
Hi Sarah, what are the reasons hat orchid bark is a preferred substrate over others? What would the ground be comprised of in their natural habitat?
Thanks for any info

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi Sarah, what are the reasons hat orchid bark is a preferred substrate over others? What would the ground be comprised of in their natural habitat?
Thanks for any info
My view is that it retains damp aiding a humid enclosure, not messy and does not mould. Nice for the tortoise to walk on and also cave and burrow in. Avoid any eye issue as not dusty. I have tried others this one works for me. When old I put in the garden so easy to recycle. As for their natural habitats they like to borrow in the tree roots which would be damp and humid. You can not compare native and captive we need to help them more in captivity for nice growth and health.

Ruffinions

Yorkshire U.K.
My view is that it retains damp aiding a humid enclosure, not messy and does not mould. Nice for the tortoise to walk on and also cave and burrow in. Avoid any eye issue as not dusty. I have tried others this one works for me. When old I put in the garden so easy to recycle. As for their natural habitats they like to borrow in the tree roots which would be damp and humid. You can not compare native and captive we need to help them more in captivity for nice growth and health.
Thanks for the info, I have just ordered a load of orchid bark!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes that's what I think too. We have taken their freedom so we owe them a better and healthier way of life. What's great is we have the ability to do that. I've read about multiple animals and their life expectancy length is about always longer in captivity.?