Tortoise breeding help needed!

sarahxmuldunne

Location (City and/or State)
dublin
I have two marginated tortoises from a breeder (I’ve only had them two days now). They are both 4 years old and have never been separated. One is Male and the other female. I assume this has put a lot of stress on the female and I bought another enclosure for the Male today. I’m not sure what to do with the female. She’s really young to have mated at only four and probably mated even younger. The breeder has never gotten any eggs from her and I’m scared that being so young she could have complications. I’m not planning on hibernating them until next year and I’m worried that if she does have eggs she won’t want to lay them inside. I’ve supplied four mounds in her enclosure just incase she does have eggs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not seeing a question in there. What can we help you with, per the thread title?

Sounds like you've got it under control. You've already separated them, and have made arrangements for laying. An X-ray can easily confirm or deny the presence of eggs.

@tglazie is the person I know of with the most margie experience, and he recommends housing them individually due to aggression. Even the females. He puts them together for breeding periodically, and then separates them again.

sarahxmuldunne

dublin
I'm not seeing a question in there. What can we help you with, per the thread title?

Sounds like you've got it under control. You've already separated them, and have made arrangements for laying. An X-ray can easily confirm or deny the presence of eggs.

@tglazie is the person I know of with the most margie experience, and he recommends housing them individually due to aggression. Even the females. He puts them together for breeding periodically, and then separates them again.
Well I guess I’m just wondering do I need to be concerned because she’s so young? And can tortoises lay eggs this late in the year?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have two marginated tortoises from a breeder (I’ve only had them two days now). They are both 4 years old and have never been separated. One is Male and the other female. I assume this has put a lot of stress on the female and I bought another enclosure for the Male today. I’m not sure what to do with the female. She’s really young to have mated at only four and probably mated even younger. The breeder has never gotten any eggs from her and I’m scared that being so young she could have complications. I’m not planning on hibernating them until next year and I’m worried that if she does have eggs she won’t want to lay them inside. I’ve supplied four mounds in her enclosure just incase she does have eggs.
They both looked like males yesterday in your other thread. Just because the one tortoise was mounting the other one this morning doesn't necessarily mean they are two different sexes. Often two tortoises of the same sex will mount each other, both males and females. I have witnessed that happening numerous times over the years, especially in immature animals who are just learning the ropes.

Can you post new pix of the suspected female's underside and tail again?

Reactions: Tom

sarahxmuldunne

dublin
I think I believed it was Male because it’s tail is much larger than my Herman’s but much smaller then the other marginated tortoise
F07D0624-C3AA-47B6-A97A-3DE56A6D5C1A.jpeg 353A5D81-4860-4223-B89D-22F3E68E5098.jpeg
CF9DB53A-3ED2-46F7-A1C0-8006CC7350AE.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well I guess I’m just wondering do I need to be concerned because she’s so young? And can tortoises lay eggs this late in the year?
It goes by size, not age. I don't know what size females of this species need to be for successful egg deposition.

Tortoises can lay any time of year.

sarahxmuldunne

dublin
This is the other tortoise definite Male I believe.
Both the tail size and the shape of the anal scutes are still indicative of a male to me.
thank you so much for your help. I’m more relieved I won’t have the stress of the Male being egg bound ?. I’ll definitely leave them separate and watch them carefully just incase.

zovick

10 Year Member!
This is the other tortoise definite Male I believe.

thank you so much for your help. I’m more relieved I won’t have the stress of the Male being egg bound ?. I’ll definitely leave them separate and watch them carefully just incase.
You are welcome.

I would continue to pressure the seller to take them back and get a refund. You got absolutely nothing like what you were supposed to have received for your 350 euros. Of course, if you have now decided you want to keep the two males, that is a moot point.

sarahxmuldunne

dublin
You are welcome.

I would continue to pressure the seller to take them back and get a refund. You got absolutely nothing like what you were supposed to have received for your 350 euros. Of course, if you have now decided you want to keep the two males, that is a moot point.
I’m definitely going to keep trying. They are really cute and all but I’m not experience at all with marginated tortoises. I might be able to sell them on and get the Hermann’s tortoises I want.