Tortoise cam?

Dessy

Anyone have a cam set up to watch their totoise at home? Any recommendations for a system?

Im thinking of getting one for when im at school and work :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Anyone have a cam set up to watch their totoise at home? Any recommendations for a system?

A good idea, particularly for those who aren't around their torts a lot: employees and students.

Dessy

Im around a lot more than i should be :D i only work four days a week and have three classes but itd be nice to see what my torts up to

Ashley Corte

New Orleans, Louisiana
I had an old iPhone laying around so I added Manything from the App Store to that and my current phone to watch mine. It's free, and I can make sure he isn't upside down! I work about five minutes away, so I can rush home if needed.

FujiBaird

I have an Arlo camera and it works pretty well (though it's not the cheapest option). It's been great to have the peace of mind to check in on my tortoise when I'm at work or out running errands. There's been a couple times when I've noticed problems (like watching my tortoise flip over... sigh) and I or someone at home has been able to correct it in a timely manner. If you're one of those people who rushes home after work just to make sure your tortoise is ok, something like this might be the answer for you!

Loganius

I've been wondering about this as well. It would be so interesting to be able to see what shenanigans my tort gets into when I'm not around.

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
I don't know, my russian and EBT both flip regularly and they just flip right back over by hooking their legs under available objects. I never worried about the whole flipping thing too much personally. I know it slowly compresses their lungs, but mine have seemed to be able to flip back with ease so far?

Ashley Corte

New Orleans, Louisiana
Mine got stuck between the "hide" and wall today sideways. No idea how. I watched him struggle for about 15 min before I headed home from work to help and fix the issue.

He also flips and just lays there. Doesn't try to flip back over at all. I have rearranged the hazards as I find them though.

FujiBaird

The hazard in my enclosure has been if my tortoise flipped somewhere where there was only loose substrate... like after a substrate change or someplace where all the plants/seedlings had been mowed down. One time we'd been out for about 4 hours and came home to find Roma on his back. We had no idea how long he'd been like that... but he had stopped trying to flip back over. If it had been in the direct sunlight here in Hawaii, maybe something bad would've happened. It was scary, and we bought the tortoise cam right after that.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I use a Nest cam...formerly known as a drop cam. It is very easy to use and set up. It has had no problems being inside my 90% humidity closed chamber. I can check in on my tortoises anytime from my phone, computer or tablet. I use several in my house...they are fairly inexpensive and efficient home security systems too.

Dessy

Thanks for all the replies guys...i think ill look into nest cam. They sell them at best buy and theyre not too expensive for someone who spends all their money on their tort anyways :D

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Thanks for all the replies guys...i think ill look into nest cam. They sell them at best buy and theyre not too expensive for someone who spends all their money on their tort anyways :D
You'll love it...trust me!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I use a d-link camera - I like it! Set up was easy, and the quality of the video is good. But the model I have does not allow for recording, only live streaming. That's the only downside!

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I use a d-link camera - I like it! Set up was easy, and the quality of the video is good. But the model I have does not allow for recording, only live streaming. That's the only downside!
The dropcam records, you have to pay for it though. I do it on a 7 day loop...I think its around $10/month for cloud storage.

JAStort

Albuquerque

I don't know if you set up a cam or not. I got my tortoises Sunday and the first thing I did after I had their environment set up, I put in a tortoise cam. It is an inexpensive Minion cam from Walmart, but I can watch it from my iPhone or iPad when I am not home. I can also set it to record any movements and make a video of what they did all day.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I use the Wansview camera, on Amazon for about $30. Here's the link:

Wansview Wireless IP HD Camera, Home WiFi Security Surveillance Camera for Baby/Elder/ Pet/Nanny Monitor with Night Vision and Two Way Audio K2 (White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JGBIFGO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

It's a wi-fi camera that I can access with an app on my phone at any time. Night vision too. I have one in every enclosure!20180929_034215.jpeg

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I have 3 plain old webcams set up in mine. I use ContraCam which has a built-in webserver and is very easy to set up. I can view on my phone or computer any time I want.