Tortoise choking

Ezarate

Location (City and/or State)
Grand junction
I have no idea why on God's green earth tortellini decided to eat a peice of his wood substrate, he was choking really badly trying hard to remove the blockage and then calmed down a bit, every now and then he tries to remove the blockage. I tried to open his mouth inordered to remove it but every time I try to cradle his head to remove it he jumps into his shell, i can't do anything to help. All of the vets are currently closed I work tomorrow and they close when I get off work I don't know what to do!

Ezarate

Grand junction
I have no idea why on God's green earth tortellini decided to eat a peice of his wood substrate, he was choking really badly trying hard to remove the blockage and then calmed down a bit, every now and then he tries to remove the blockage. I tried to open his mouth inordered to remove it but every time I try to cradle his head to remove it he jumps into his shell, i can't do anything to help. All of the vets are currently closed I work tomorrow and they close when I get off work I don't know what to do!

He seems to be fine now, after it looked like he calmed down a bit I gave him more food and he is going to town on it. I've seen him Choke before but he always spits it up instantly, this time it looked like he was choking non-stop

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad he seems to be fine. Hopefully he got it all out or down. Just keep an eye on him for a couple days.

Sa Ga

MN
You call in sick and take him immediately.

Sa Ga

MN
He seems to be fine now, after it looked like he calmed down a bit I gave him more food and he is going to town on it. I've seen him Choke before but he always spits it up instantly, this time it looked like he was choking non-stop
Wood is esp bad because it can swell and cause blockages. Watch his pooping and take him in for xrays if he starts to NOT go. I don't even know if you have a vet around you that can remove a blockage, but at the least they could relieve his suffering.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have had numerous tortoises and not one has ever choked...that I saw...but start lightly rubbing the top of his head with 1 finger...do it for days, then when he lets you do that and he keeps his head out gradually and softly use 2 fingers like a 'v' one on each side of his neck...if you do this over time and he gets to trust you, you will be able to grab his head and hold it out... it's a helpful thing to be able to do...

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Wood is esp bad because it can swell and cause blockages. Watch his pooping and take him in for xrays if he starts to NOT go. I don't even know if you have a vet around you that can remove a blockage, but at the least they could relieve his suffering.
I never knew wood was bad. I have cypress mulch in my enclosure should I change it?

Sa Ga

MN
Lol. I tried to keep Morla's head out for her hydration tubing, and the little bugger ended up pulling some of my skin with her, pinching me hard!

Luckily, she trusts me enough to come right back out! (But the first night, I had tube feeding food solution all over my tub and bathroom walls!)

Sa Ga

MN
I never knew wood was bad. I have cypress mulch in my enclosure should I change it?
Cypress is not aromatic. Aspen isn't either (but don't use aspen!). Pine and cedar are.

(Personally, I wouldn't use wood at all. I've seen animals die from ingesting it, choking or getting intestinal blockages.

Even Morla tried to eat some of my garden cypress mulch a few weeks ago when I brought her outside. She's never done that before either.

Sa Ga

MN
Lol. I tried to keep Morla's head out for her hydration tubing, and the little bugger ended up pulling some of my skin with her, pinching me hard!

Luckily, she trusts me enough to come right back out! (But the first night, I had tube feeding food solution all over my tub and bathroom walls!)

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Cypress is not aromatic. Aspen isn't either (but don't use aspen!). Pine and cedar are.

(Personally, I wouldn't use wood at all. I've seen animals die from ingesting it, choking or getting intestinal blockages.

Even Morla tried to eat some of my garden cypress mulch a few weeks ago when I brought her outside. She's never done that before either.
What do you use?