Tortoise climbing

Calibri

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hello. I recently got a tortoise and I've had her for about 2 months. She is a Mediterranean tortoise. I have her in an old dog cage with wood around it to where she can't see out. Its a few inches high and for the past hour she has been trying to climb in one spot. There is nothing she can see out, it's up against a wall. The other spots I have cardboard around above the wood to where she can't see. But she is still climbing in one spot. There's nothing there, no bright colors, no room, it's just a wall but she keeps trying to climb towards it. I even turned the lights off and put her in her hide hole but she climbed back out and is still trying to climb. Any help?

Herman_WA

Washington
Hello. I recently got a tortoise and I've had her for about 2 months. She is a Mediterranean tortoise. I have her in an old dog cage with wood around it to where she can't see out. Its a few inches high and for the past hour she has been trying to climb in one spot. There is nothing she can see out, it's up against a wall. The other spots I have cardboard around above the wood to where she can't see. But she is still climbing in one spot. There's nothing there, no bright colors, no room, it's just a wall but she keeps trying to climb towards it. I even turned the lights off and put her in her hide hole but she climbed back out and is still trying to climb. Any help?
What size is her enclosure? Does she have any heat lamps? Can we see a pic of her enclosure? I'm not a pro at this, but I bet some experts will show up soon!

Calibri

Louisiana
What size is her enclosure? Does she have any heat lamps? Can we see a pic of her enclosure? I'm not a pro at this, but I bet some experts will show up soon!
It is 2 x 3 feet. She isn't a full adult yet so she is kinda small. I have been planning on getting her a bigger tortoise box. Where she is climbing is actually right under her heat lamp.

Herman_WA

Washington
It is 2 x 3 feet. She isn't a full adult yet so she is kinda small. I have been planning on getting her a bigger tortoise box. Where she is climbing is actually right under her heat lamp.
I pretty sure 2×3 feet is too small. Do you know the temp of her lamp?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Ya I've been bath her regularly
I was just reaching for ideas. And I'm gonna say that a dog crate is made for dogs not tortoises. That tort is trying to get out because you don't have it set up well at all. And I didn't ask if you bathed it, just soaked it so it can drink. Is there substrate? What kind of heat? nighttime heat? What's the humidity?

Calibri

Louisiana
I was just reaching for ideas. And I'm gonna say that a dog crate is made for dogs not tortoises. That tort is trying to get out because you don't have it set up well at all. And I didn't ask if you bathed it, just soaked it so it can drink. Is there substrate? What kind of heat? nighttime heat? What's the humidity?
Ya I soak her, that's what I meant. I got cypress mulch for her. I have a heat lamp that's temp is around 90. I don't know what the humidity is but I think it's a bit dry in my place

dashthetortoise

New York
Hi,
My russian tortoise that is about 8-10 inches long is in a 3 by 2 feet enclosure and does the same.. Im kinda being a strict mom and just letting him scratch until he tires himself out and sleeps coz the heat is veryy imp and he will be very cold outside.
When we take him out he loves to roam around the house and go as far as his horizon lol but I have read articles on not to keep them out. I'm not sure why! he is pretty healthy but soaking, light and heat are Very imp!

below is his enclosure-
The left compartment is the hide- has a lid on top
both heat ceramic lamp and UVB/basking light present.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-10-17 at 9.14.36 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-17 at 9.14.36 PM.jpeg
    371.8 KB · Views: 5

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hi,
My russian tortoise that is about 8-10 inches long is in a 3 by 2 feet enclosure and does the same.. Im kinda being a strict mom and just letting him scratch until he tires himself out and sleeps coz the heat is veryy imp and he will be very cold outside.
When we take him out he loves to roam around the house and go as far as his horizon lol but I have read articles on not to keep them out. I'm not sure why! he is pretty healthy but soaking, light and heat are Very imp!

below is his enclosure-
The left compartment is the hide- has a lid on top
both heat ceramic lamp and UVB/basking light present.
This is way too small for a russian tortoise. Especially that size. Your tortoise is trying to tell you something that it wants a bigger home. There are care home guides on here to follow for russian tortoises.

dashthetortoise

New York
Thread 'Russian Tortoise Care Sheet'
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

You need to follow this care sheet. Living conditions need to be changed asap. Too small of an enclosure for your 8-10 inch most likely
Female tortoise.
I have tried to identify her/ his gender but I don't see the super long tail that male russian tortoises have. can u please help me confirm her gender? Images of her tail attached below. Also could u please suggest a min size for her enclosure? and is it too bad to keep her outside sometimes?

And thank you for such prompt reply! I cant believe I didn't join this forum before!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-10-17 at 10.05.58 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-17 at 10.05.58 PM.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 7
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-10-17 at 10.05.59 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-17 at 10.05.59 PM (1).jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 7
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-10-17 at 10.05.59 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-17 at 10.05.59 PM.jpeg
    485.2 KB · Views: 6
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-10-17 at 10.06.00 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-17 at 10.06.00 PM.jpeg
    351.4 KB · Views: 7

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I have tried to identify her/ his gender but I don't see the super long tail that male russian tortoises have. can u please help me confirm her gender? Images of her tail attached below. Also could u please suggest a min size for her enclosure? and is it too bad to keep her outside sometimes?

And thank you for such prompt reply! I cant believe I didn't join this forum before!
You got yourself a beautiful female russian tortoise. Depending on where you are from, you can absolutely take her outside. Be sure to watch her though as that is the most common way to lose a tortoise.

4ft x ft enclosure it should be listed in toms thread that I have attached.
Russians thrive in wooden raised garden beds, old book shelves flipped into a tortoise pen, or two zoo med enclosures connected together. They need a lot of exercise and it’s important to make sure you have the correct substrate for your tort for borrowing. Two lighting systems for UVB + basking.

variety leafy greans, flowers (for russians) pansy are my russians favorite.
i feed my russian dandelion, endive, mustard greens, broad leafy greens. I am currently growing my own tort mix for russians, pansys, and I mix @Kapidolo Farms into my tortoises diet.
I highly recommend purchasing some bags from them to sprinkle on top of your torts lettuce if you do not add variety. Variety is so important so you know.

also, fresh access to water daily.
daily weekly baths for hydration!!!

Jan A

Boulder, CO

Welcome to the forum. Please read the care sheet. The tort's sex has NOTHING to do with its care at this point. You need for the tort to have room to walk, proper temps & humidity, a hide, soaks, & the right foods for it to thrive. Please do your homework & read a little, ask questions, post photos, & ask more questions. Your best care for your tort is what's important.

The odds are 100% your tort is a male or a female. Your care is needed 100% no matter what.

Sorry, I just noticed that what I thought I was responding to was a yr ago.

I hope your tort is doing well & you've both adjusted to each other. I get a little exasperated at times about the "what's the sex of my tort" all the time. My bad. Again, sorry.

Last edited: