Tortoise cold?

Andreotti10

Location (City and/or State)
York
Hi all please could you give me some advice.
I’ve had my Russian tortoise 2 months, he’s around a year old.

I did change his enclosure around Sunday and since then I’ve been watching him more.

I notice after he eats he seems to have a wet nose almost like very slight clear discharge. He will often sneeze after food too.

Then he is absolutely fine, no bubbles which i read is a problem, no breathing sounds, very active and eating well.

I read different answers. Some say take him to a vet, when maybe there’s nothing wrong with him. Others say don’t take him to a vet only if he stops eating as he shouldn’t have anti biotics if not needed.

Please help

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most of the experienced tort people will not recommend a vet unless it's an obvious very serious situation. Most vets have none to zero education on how to treat a tortoise and does more harm then good.
Now for your tort. What exactly is the temps, basking, all over, cool end, night temps?
Humidity?
Substrate and enclosure? Pictures will help. Also type of lighting and heating.
What is the diet you are feeding him?
I would not run him to the vet. After we get the answers to above questions, we can either have suggestions for changes.
Otherwise just keep an eye on him for any changes

Andreotti10

York
Most of the experienced tort people will not recommend a vet unless it's an obvious very serious situation. Most vets have none to zero education on how to treat a tortoise and does more harm then good.
Now for your tort. What exactly is the temps, basking, all over, cool end, night temps?
Humidity?
Substrate and enclosure? Pictures will help. Also type of lighting and heating.
What is the diet you are feeding him?
I would not run him to the vet. After we get the answers to above questions, we can either have suggestions for changes.
Otherwise just keep an eye on him for any changes
Thanks for your reply.
Basking area is 95 degrees
Cooler area between 80-85
Humidity is 40 percent
Night time is 70

He has a large enclosure I put 3 together so it’s 8 foot x 4 foot
He eats weeds, I’m trying to grow more as I’m in the U.K. and leafy greens, mainly kale he really enjoys.
Substrate I know you will hate it’s this Sandy, limestone calcium thing, I changed it for fir bark on Sunday and he absolutely hated it so I put it back to before until I work out a solution.

Lighting he has 2 lights going over the top which I’m going to rig up to be sideways to get more cover

Il add some photos

Really appreciate any help, I’ve never loved a pet this much and it’s causing me so much anxiety watching him all the time. I’m sure we all do it

Andreotti10

York
490AAA9B-7FD4-488F-B876-7609A91E9A81.png

Attachments

• 9761F753-4D74-46CD-B19C-0633583DD76B.jpeg
    9761F753-4D74-46CD-B19C-0633583DD76B.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
  • CA9A57A5-FC73-4869-9265-29CE4B20C5EE.jpeg
    CA9A57A5-FC73-4869-9265-29CE4B20C5EE.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 84A695EE-7EAA-49C9-92DB-49857ECA92F4.png
    84A695EE-7EAA-49C9-92DB-49857ECA92F4.png
    10.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 71D8F8A0-DD03-48EF-8A73-F7F8DE705D8E.jpeg
    71D8F8A0-DD03-48EF-8A73-F7F8DE705D8E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, I hate the substrate. However that doesn't matter as much as it's very dangerous for your tort. It can cause impaction.
You are the one that needs to do what's best for him, no matter if you think he likes it or not.
Get coconut coir its similar to sand. Then if you want put orchid bark on top of the coir.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can you use normal topsoil?? A lot of people in the U.K. seem to like this?
Whoever invented that Pets-at-Home substrate should be flogged. It is a terrible idea to encourage a tortoise to eat its sandy substrate to satisfy calcium craving. Its a terrible idea to use sand at all!

Coco coir will work but it is messy. You'll need a thick damp layer and you will need to hand pack it. Fine grade orchid bark (aka: fir bark) is the best way to go. Tortoises don't like anything new and they don't like changes, so I don't know what makes you think he hated it, but he will get used to it. I've housed dozens of Russians on orchid bark with no issues.

The runny nose is probably due to the substrate being too dry, sandy, and dusty. Any tortoise substrate should be damp. Not wet, just damp. You'll need a 3-4 inch layer and you will need to dump water into it periodically to maintain dampness. How much water and how often varies tremendously with each enclosure and seasonally too.

Soil should never be used as tortoise substrate. It is made from composted yard trimmings and there is no way to know what it is made of. Could be toxic materials in there.

Your water bowl isn't suitable either. Those are great for lizards and snakes, but they are a flipping/drowning hazard for tortoises. Get a terra cotta plant saucer and sink it into the substrate for water. Get one for food too. They are cheap to buy, so I'd get a couple of spares too.

Kale is okay once in a while, but not regularly. I fed some kale to mine today, but they only see that once a month or so, and its mixed in with other stuff. Endive and escarole should be staples. Cilantro, arugula, collard, mustard and turnip greens, radicchio, bok choy, kale, carrot tops, dandelion greens (aka Italian dandelion, different than the "weed" type dandelions that grow outside), and so many others are good for occasional variety. Weeds are best when available. Also look for squash leaves, mulberry leaves and grape vine leaves in warmer weather.

Have you seen this:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I thought you'd bought the Forest Bark to change the substrate?

Andreotti10

York
Whoever invented that Pets-at-Home substrate should be flogged. It is a terrible idea to encourage a tortoise to eat its sandy substrate to satisfy calcium craving. Its a terrible idea to use sand at all!

Coco coir will work but it is messy. You'll need a thick damp layer and you will need to hand pack it. Fine grade orchid bark (aka: fir bark) is the best way to go. Tortoises don't like anything new and they don't like changes, so I don't know what makes you think he hated it, but he will get used to it. I've housed dozens of Russians on orchid bark with no issues.

The runny nose is probably due to the substrate being too dry, sandy, and dusty. Any tortoise substrate should be damp. Not wet, just damp. You'll need a 3-4 inch layer and you will need to dump water into it periodically to maintain dampness. How much water and how often varies tremendously with each enclosure and seasonally too.

Soil should never be used as tortoise substrate. It is made from composted yard trimmings and there is no way to know what it is made of. Could be toxic materials in there.

Your water bowl isn't suitable either. Those are great for lizards and snakes, but they are a flipping/drowning hazard for tortoises. Get a terra cotta plant saucer and sink it into the substrate for water. Get one for food too. They are cheap to buy, so I'd get a couple of spares too.

Kale is okay once in a while, but not regularly. I fed some kale to mine today, but they only see that once a month or so, and its mixed in with other stuff. Endive and escarole should be staples. Cilantro, arugula, collard, mustard and turnip greens, radicchio, bok choy, kale, carrot tops, dandelion greens (aka Italian dandelion, different than the "weed" type dandelions that grow outside), and so many others are good for occasional variety. Weeds are best when available. Also look for squash leaves, mulberry leaves and grape vine leaves in warmer weather.

Have you seen this:
Thanks Tom, I assume the attached photo is no good as a substrate either? I brought this one too. I’m useless

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also I’ve just dug out all the sand and put the fir bark back in hope that will help his runny nose!!!
Keep the fir bark damp. Not wet, but lightly damp. This will eliminate dust which might be irritating his nasal passages.

The stuff in the picture looks like coco coir. If yes, you just need a thick layer and you need to hand pack it firmly. Its too messy when its loose and fluffy like in the picture.

Andreotti10

York
Keep the fir bark damp. Not wet, but lightly damp. This will eliminate dust which might be irritating his nasal passages.

The stuff in the picture looks like coco coir. If yes, you just need a thick layer and you need to hand pack it firmly. Its too messy when its loose and fluffy like in the picture.
Amazing thanks Tom il keep the fir bark for now and see how he gets on with that so hopefully it’s not dusty

Andreotti10

York
Amazing thanks Tom il keep the fir bark for now and see how he gets on with that so hopefully it’s not dusty
Tom, I’ve attached a picture of the pets at home coco coir fibre brick? Is it ok. It says put in 3 litres of water and mix well. Surely you don’t put your tortoise on this when it’s soaking wet? Do you then wait for it to dry???
I’ve never been so confused 16E53F81-157A-42AD-B932-7CB011396D85.jpegD701EED6-ED85-40D2-9B5A-0B33B5E570B9.jpeg

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
This is fine, i always use this underneath the orchid bark, and once you put the water in it expands so you'll probably use a little more than 3 ltrs, As Tom said you need to hand pack it down and keep it damp.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
And yes, if it for some reason it does not absorb all the water then wring it out, and then hand pack...