Growth ring help

Andreotti10

Location (City and/or State)
York
Hi experts, I’d love some help

I’ve had my Tortoise 2 months and he’s been a dream. Eats well, good toilet habits, loves a bath, extremely active and friendly

I feel confident with his temperatures currently. I have also brought 3 enclosures and put them all together to make one huge space for him.

Basking area is around 34-36
Has an area around 25, and at night he seems to enjoy around 23

Humidity is at 48 percent 40 seemed a bit low because I noticed his skin would occasionally flake off when I upped that it made a huge difference

My question is the growth ring, ( please see photo) I’ve read so much about this and there’s 2 different options

Some say that would be too much growth, over feeding etc

Some would say this is great it shows you are providing an enclosure that is allowing your tortoise to grow and thrive

I thought if a tortoise was fat you could tell with his neck Arms and legs carrying weight he certainly doesn’t have that

Rather than doubt myself I just wanted to put it out there to the experts here I trust

Thanks so much

Attachments

• D8558678-8E69-45C9-8B5D-CD64E6164B8F.png
    D8558678-8E69-45C9-8B5D-CD64E6164B8F.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 22

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida

I’ve had my Tortoise 2 months and he’s been a dream. Eats well, good toilet habits, loves a bath, extremely active and friendly

I feel confident with his temperatures currently. I have also brought 3 enclosures and put them all together to make one huge space for him.

Humidity is at 48 percent 40 seemed a bit low because I noticed his skin would occasionally flake off when I upped that it made a huge difference

My question is the growth ring, ( please see photo) I’ve read so much about this and there’s 2 different options

Some would say this is great it shows you are providing an enclosure that is allowing your tortoise to grow and thrive

I thought if a tortoise was fat you could tell with his neck Arms and legs carrying weight he certainly doesn’t have that

Rather than doubt myself I just wanted to put it out there to the experts here I trust

Thanks so much
He's a cute one for sure,would it be possible to see pics or your enclosure set up?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi, Are you in York UK?
I'm no expert on growth rings (or anything else for that matter) but generally torts are grazers so need to have food available all day. I was told to think of the shell as an upturned bowl and feed that amount to start with but if he wants more feed more. In my experience, my tort tends to stop eating when he's had enough.
What do you feed your tort?

Your tort has a lovely space to explore.

The only thing I would worry about is the substrate. It looks very dry and sandy; torts will sometimes eat the white bits in it which could be a choking hazard or cause impaction in the gut - very painful and dangerous for them.

Is he a Greek or Russian tort? I'm not great at IDing torts, but I think he is one of the Mediterranean/Temperate species, so this is the caresheet you need which will give you better options for substrate and advice on temps, humidity diet etc

It is very difficult to control temps and humidity for babies in an open table so perhaps you could consider covering it with something to help.

Andreotti10

York
Hi, Are you in York UK?
I'm no expert on growth rings (or anything else for that matter) but generally torts are grazers so need to have food available all day. I was told to think of the shell as an upturned bowl and feed that amount to start with but if he wants more feed more. In my experience, my tort tends to stop eating when he's had enough.
What do you feed your tort?

Your tort has a lovely space to explore.

The only thing I would worry about is the substrate. It looks very dry and sandy; torts will sometimes eat the white bits in it which could be a choking hazard or cause impaction in the gut - very painful and dangerous for them.

Is he a Greek or Russian tort? I'm not great at IDing torts, but I think he is one of the Mediterranean/Temperate species, so this is the caresheet you need which will give you better options for substrate and advice on temps, humidity diet etc

It is very difficult to control temps and humidity for babies in an open table so perhaps you could consider covering it with something to help.

Andreotti10

York
Hi Lyn thanks for you reply
Yes York in the U.K. he’s a Russian tortoise the pet shop said he was around 16 months but you never know.

I agree with the substrate it is dry and naturally takes the humidity to 40 percent. I’m always spraying it

I think I make the mistake of feeding him too much from my hand, it was something I did at the beginning to help him bond with me but now he expects that which makes him eat too fast. I’m going to try just putting the leaves in the bowl and try your tip

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Thanks so much
Your tortoise looks healthy and the growth ring is normal and fine. They should be able to eat as much of the right foods as they want daily. Grocery store lettuce is NOT the right food. Read the care sheet that Lyn linked for more explanation.

The substrate needs to go ASAP. That could kill your tortoise. Whoever had the idea to encourage tortoises to eat sandy substrate by putting bits of calcium in it should be smacked upside the head. That is completely illogical and totally stupid. Get it out of there quickly before your tortoise ingests any more sand.

Andreotti10

York
Your tortoise looks healthy and the growth ring is normal and fine. They should be able to eat as much of the right foods as they want daily. Grocery store lettuce is NOT the right food. Read the care sheet that Lyn linked for more explanation.

The substrate needs to go ASAP. That could kill your tortoise. Whoever had the idea to encourage tortoises to eat sandy substrate by putting bits of calcium in it should be smacked upside the head. That is completely illogical and totally stupid. Get it out of there quickly before your tortoise ingests any more sand.

Andreotti10

York
Thanks so much for the reply Tom. I’ve been trying to grow weeds etc indoors I’m not prepared to pick them as I don’t know if cats have been there etc. I don’t feed him any lettuce, however he loves kale
Do you have any recommendations for substrate and I will get it changed tomorrow
Thanks so much

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks so much for the reply Tom. I’ve been trying to grow weeds etc indoors I’m not prepared to pick them as I don’t know if cats have been there etc. I don’t feed him any lettuce, however he loves kale
Do you have any recommendations for substrate and I will get it changed tomorrow
Thanks so much
At his size fine grade orchid bark would work best, and it also holds moisture well for a little bit of ambient humidity. It is also sold as "Repti-bark" and its really fir bark.

Kale os okay once in a while, but not as a staple.

It doesn't matter if cats have been near the weeds outside. Or dogs. Just rinse/soak the weeds before feeding them to your tortoise. Imagine a wild tortoise. There are all sorts of animals near their food all the time. I have been scavenging weeds and leaves for decades from all sorts of wild areas. Just got a bucket of tender young grass and weeds yesterday from a filming location where I worked. I found patches of thistle and milk thistle mixed in with the freshly sprouted grass. It will be mixed in with my grass eating species' food for the next week. I have 30 dogs at my ranch. They pee on all the weed patches regularly. I rinse the weeds, and then put them in a bucket of water for a few minutes before feeding them out. The tortoises don't care.

Andreotti10

York
At his size fine grade orchid bark would work best, and it also holds moisture well for a little bit of ambient humidity. It is also sold as "Repti-bark" and its really fir bark.

Kale os okay once in a while, but not as a staple.

It doesn't matter if cats have been near the weeds outside. Or dogs. Just rinse/soak the weeds before feeding them to your tortoise. Imagine a wild tortoise. There are all sorts of animals near their food all the time. I have been scavenging weeds and leaves for decades from all sorts of wild areas. Just got a bucket of tender young grass and weeds yesterday from a filming location where I worked. I found patches of thistle and milk thistle mixed in with the freshly sprouted grass. It will be mixed in with my grass eating species' food for the next week. I have 30 dogs at my ranch. They pee on all the weed patches regularly. I rinse the weeds, and then put them in a bucket of water for a few minutes before feeding them out. The tortoises don't care.

Andreotti10

York
This is great advice thanks Tom. I’ve attached a photo of something available near me, repti bark, is this ok??

Ok great I will go to find some weeds today. I guess just rinse them with water and start feeding him them

Thanks, I’m so grateful

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
They'll be fine when washed - just pick them from safe chemical/fume free places .
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe foods.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is the right stuff. All things considered, it is the best and safest substrate for tortoises. It is produced here on the west coast of the US, so I am able to buy it in bulk, much cheaper here. It is used to grow orchids, so people should be able to find it world wide at nurseries that cater to orchid growers. I hope that helps you find a good deal. Just be sure it is plain fine grade fir bark with no additives.

Andreotti10

York
That is the right stuff. All things considered, it is the best and safest substrate for tortoises. It is produced here on the west coast of the US, so I am able to buy it in bulk, much cheaper here. It is used to grow orchids, so people should be able to find it world wide at nurseries that cater to orchid growers. I hope that helps you find a good deal. Just be sure it is plain fine grade fir bark with no additives.

Andreotti10

York
Hi Tom I’ve just brought this as a new substrate is this ok
Thanks
James

Attachments

• 937D4FC8-8438-42B0-A60B-5A7A011FB41A.jpeg
    937D4FC8-8438-42B0-A60B-5A7A011FB41A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • B52CB945-542F-4235-8B49-D15236070BC6.jpeg
    B52CB945-542F-4235-8B49-D15236070BC6.jpeg