Growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
Would a tortoise get a familiar growth rate to its parents? For example the dad of my two new sulcatas was only 8 years old and he was huge this is him

image-1675938008.png

Would you think they would grow that fast? I know they have their own growth rate but I was just wondering

jesst

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I think it can be hereditary . I have asked this question many times with the growth of my leopard tort. She is only 9.5 months but already weighing 337g, which is much bigger then any babacoki tort the same age. She mother is a big leopard so I'm assuming she had her growth gene. I guess it is just a wait and see kind of thing. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
GBtortoises said:
Growth rate is determined by environmental factors such as temperatures, light, food and water availablity. Final mature size is determined by genetics.

Ditto.

johin

5 Year Member
leonardo the tmnt said:
Tom said:

Oh ok that what I had read but just wanted to make sure :)

I think its inheritable , but I have a question for my tort.
my all tortoise grow for a specifice time and then he stop gorw and is such large then any babacoki tort the duplicate age. his parent is a big leopard so I'm presumptuous he had his growth factor. I work it is retributory a wait .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
johin said:
I think its inheritable , but I have a question for my tort.
my all tortoise grow for a specifice time and then he stop gorw and is such large then any babacoki tort the duplicate age. his parent is a big leopard so I'm presumptuous he had his growth factor. I work it is retributory a wait .

Turn your spell check off, try again and please proofread before you hit "Post Reply". Then, once we know what it is, we would love to answer your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.