Growth Rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Forgive the ignorance but what is a Growth Ring?From what I've heard,it's some while outline along the ridge surrounding the scutes?Could anyone out there please describe or explain what a Growth Ring is to me?How does it look?Any photos would be a big help?
Thanks.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
A growth ring is a lighter shade of the shell around the pleural scutes. Sometimes it will go all the way around then it will fade into the shell colour. Its quite noticable when you have young growing torts. They appear as the Tort grows. :cool:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know how to explain it technically and correctly. Where's EJ?! or one of our other scientific types?
Basically, its the concentric circles that form each scute. Every "growth period" forms a new. larger "circle" surrounding the previous ones. The older they are the more "growth" rings there are.

2i056qc.jpg

Nobody

5 Year Member
Philippines
Roachman26 said:
I don't know how to explain it technically and correctly. Where's EJ?! or one of our other scientific types?
Basically, its the concentric circles that form each scute. Every "growth period" forms a new. larger "circle" surrounding the previous ones. The older they are the more "growth" rings there are.

2i056qc.jpg

Can they be removed?
Thanks.

gyang333

5 Year Member
Nobody said:
Roachman26 said:

2i056qc.jpg

Can they be removed?
Thanks.

growth rings? no. that's a part of their shell. If you think it takes away from the shell's beauty, well, that's a shame because in my opinion, it just adds to the characteristics of the tortoise, and who he/she is.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They tend to wear down and smooth out in wild tortoises and captives that burrow a lot. Is this what you meant by removed? As far as intentionally removing them, no. I would not recommend any method of attempting this.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
It is very much like the rings in a tree. For different species, it is demonstrated in different ways. In humans. the same area is called growth plates. It allows us to become our adult height and bone mass. Once the growth process is complete, this area becomes hardened like the rest of the bone.

Status
Not open for further replies.