Location (City and/or State)
America
Hello, i recently noticed a black ring appearing around my tortoise shell I rescued him recently from my home of 15 years and have no idea what this is and I am confused as whether or not it is shell rot or if it is dangerous to him and what to do to treat it if it is please help me identify what this is the vet that I took him to said he was just growing but I think some other opinions from long time tortoise owners would help thank you. also he is a red footed Tortoise. Forgot to mention the pyramiding shown was already there when i recieved him but not the ring. I can show pictures of the bottom of his shell if needed. The ring is slightly shiny and can flake and scrape off a tiny bit In some areas. This is making me anxious and im worried that i may be hurting him more than i am helping him. The ring is 100% getting larger day by day and going up his shell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
Last edited by a moderator:
America
Hello, i recently noticed a black ring appearing around my tortoise shell I rescued him recently from my home of 15 years and have no idea what this is and I am confused as whether or not it is shell rot or if it is dangerous to him and what to do to treat it if it is please help me identify what this is the vet that I took him to said he was just growing but I think some other opinions from long time tortoise owners would help thank you. also he is a red footed Tortoise. Forgot to mention the pyramiding shown was already there when i recieved him but not the ring. I can show pictures of the bottom of his shell if needed. The ring is slightly shiny and can flake and scrape off a tiny bit In some areas. This is making me anxious and im worried that i may be hurting him more than i am helping him. The ring is 100% getting larger day by day and going up his shell.

Attachments

• 58904C94-3F6F-47CC-B693-771FC98CF1F2.jpeg
    58904C94-3F6F-47CC-B693-771FC98CF1F2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I see nothing alarming in that photo. But I don't understand (or see) the thing that you're describing either.
Can you zoom in on it?
I just see a lot of new, rapid growth. And it also looks like he's still pyramiding.
You know that he needs a lot of humidity, right?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I see nothing alarming in that photo. But I don't understand (or see) the thing that you're describing either.
Can you zoom in on it
Greetings. Looks like new growth to me, but I don’t keep Redfoots. I’m sure @Toddrickfl1 and @ZEROPILOT will jump in.

Are you soaking your tortoise at all? It looks pretty dry. Lastly, looks like he’s on astroturf? Thats not a good substrate since your guy can eat it & it doesnt hold any moisture.

There are some great Redfoot care guides under the species section.

➡️ https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-tortoise-caresheet.172531/

good luck
I didn't catch that astro turf...
How are you keeping your Redfoot?
The enclosure. Heating, lighting feeding etc

America
Greetings. Looks like new growth to me, but I don’t keep Redfoots. I’m sure @Toddrickfl1 and @ZEROPILOT will jump in.

Are you soaking your tortoise at all? It looks pretty dry. Lastly, looks like he’s on astroturf? Thats not a good substrate since your guy can eat it & it doesnt hold any moisture.

There are some great Redfoot care guides under the species section.

➡️ https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-tortoise-caresheet.172531/

good luck
Thanks! He has been kept with moisture/humidity his whole life and once i got him i began keeping the terrarium he had humid, but we had a huge bug infestation and the vet we spoke to recommended we switch to astroturf. He doesnt eat it and ive been researching alternatives for astroturf. Hes just started getting baths a few times a week for the first time in his life, he just got one less than an hour ago. My family might choose to give him away if the bugs come back and are skeptical about keeping it humid. I want whats best for him, but i am stuck on what to do.

America
Can you zoom in on it

I didn't catch that astro turf...
How are you keeping your Redfoot?
The enclosure. Heating, lighting feeding etc
He has a uvb bulb that is turned off at night, and stays on all day. Im still experimenting with his feeding schedule as hes a bit overweight but he gets fed 1-2 a week atm cut up squash, cherry tomatoes, sweet potato, carrots, and sometimes strawberries, and sometimes if he doesnt have fresh veggies he gets some diet pellets. Ill see if i can find what pellets exactly. He has a pretty big enclosure with a raised water dish astroturf and a log that i move at night into a corner so he can sleep in the dark.

America
Can you zoom in on it?
I just see a lot of new, rapid growth. And it also looks like he's still pyramiding.
You know that he needs a lot of humidity, right?
I know that they need alot of humidity but i cant provide that right now and cant give him substrate because of a bug infestation we had initially. Is there anything i can do to provide humidity without attracting any bugs? Side note, the owners he had for 15 years and have not Provided him humidity. Is rapid growth bad? I got him a few months ago.

America
I know that they need alot of humidity but i cant provide that right now and cant give him substrate because of a bug infestation we had initially. Is there anything i can do to provide humidity without attracting any bugs? Side note, the owners he had for 15 years and have not Provided him humidity. Is rapid growth bad? I got him a few months ago.
Also thanks so much for your help**