1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Tortoise enclosure

Discussion in 'General Tortoise Discussion' started by Tort1419, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Tort1419

Tort1419 Active Member

So what age or size do you suggest getting so that I can directly put it in my large 4' by 8' or possibly more enclosure, also I am going to have a uvb striplight covering the whole are and a basking light, do I need anymore lights?
  2. leigti

leigti Well-Known Member

Location (City and/or State):
    southeast Washington
    I'm not sure when they are technically juvenile versus adult. But if you find one at least 4 inches long that should be about right. A 4 x 8 enclosure will require a good deal of light to keep the tortoise active, but it doesn't have to be all UVB balls. Check out the enclosures section for some ideas. There are some very creative ideas there.
  3. Tidgy's Dad

Tidgy's Dad Well-Known Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Fes, Morocco
    Hello, there.
    With all tortoises, think bigger.
    They roam huge areas in the wild that we can't hope to reproduce, but they still need a good space to be happy.
    4' by 8' is the absolute minimum for a Russian and a slightly older tortoise is safer and easier to keep than a hatchling, especially for a first tortoise.
    It must have access to a UVB light (not a coiled or compact one), if it can't get real sunshine.
    You may need a basking light if you get a strip, a mercury vapour bulb does the two in one, and you may need something for night heat, tortoises don't sleep well with the lights on, so you may need a CHE (Ceramic heat Emitter) to warm the place up in the colder nights.