Tortoise had some weird poop.

Just Curious

Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
I was soaking my tortoise when she started pooping when I got her out to get the poop out and I noticed that it was all powdery looking. I grabbed a plastic fork and poked at it and it was sorta clumped together as well. I've only had her for about a week now. The only thing in her enclosure that could be causing problems is the humidity, so if you could tell me whether or not I should be worried and how I can increase humidity in her enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome.
First we need more info. What kind of tortoise do you have, how old, what is the diet, how often do you soak and does it have water 24/7?
Also what are your temps and humidity now?
Was the poop white? Possibly urates.

Just Curious

Alabama
Piper is a sulcata tortoise. She is around 3 months old (I ordered her from LLLReptiles). It was white. Her temp is from 93 to 95.7. The humidity reader I just bought says the humidity is 20, ive been trying to increase it by spraying the enclosure with water twice a day, spraying her log hide and keeping wet sphagnum moss/orchids moss wet. I soak her once a day. She is still very scared of us because shes only been with us a week.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Piper is a sulcata tortoise. She is around 3 months old (I ordered her from LLLReptiles). It was white. Her temp is from 93 to 95.7. The humidity reader I just bought says the humidity is 20, ive been trying to increase it by spraying the enclosure with water twice a day, spraying her log hide and keeping wet sphagnum moss/orchids moss wet. I soak her once a day. She is still very scared of us because shes only been with us a week.

What you are seeing is normal for a sulcata (and some other tortoises as well) and is called urates. Think of the white part of bird poop as a comparison. It is important to keep your tortoise well-hydrated to keep the urates from becoming too hard for it to pass them out and becoming a bladder stone which is possibly life-threatening depending on its size. Keep soaking the tortoise daily for 20-30 minutes to keep it well-hydrated.

Also read the important sulcata care info on this site.