TORTOISE HEALTH CONCERNS

BIGBOY

Location (City and/or State)
East Africa
Hey ...love the community ...I had a few concerns about my tortoise for the past 3 weeks I've been trying to feed my tortoise but it seems to not have the appetite. It mostly sleeps all day long and hasn't pooped for quite a while as well ...I come from the east Africa Kenya so I was wondering if the temperatures might affect the lil tort considering I don't use a uv light nor any form of heating for his enclosure....in addition to this one of it's nostril is blocked I don't know what could be the issue kindly assist ...any valuable information is welcomed

Sensimillia

East Sussex
Do you know the rough temps for day and night? Species of tortoise would help also.
Any photos?... Sounds like RI (Respiratory Infection). Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will know.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It would help us to help you if we knew more: What species? Indoors or outside? What foods do you offer? A picture of the tortoise in his enclosure would be very helpful to us.

BIGBOY

East Africa
Indoor
It would help us to help you if we knew more: What species? Indoors or outside? What foods do you offer? A picture of the tortoise in his enclosure would be very helpful to us.
Indoor Enclosure...I usually give it kales cabbages occasional tomatoes and I usually let it graze outside as well ...

Sensimillia

East Sussex
Indoor

Indoor Enclosure...I usually give it kales cabbages occasional tomatoes and I usually let it graze outside as well ...
Cabbage contains goitrogens that interfere with thyroid activity and and could damage liver and kidney's. The same is true for kale. Goitrogenic plants should not be fed in conjunction with each other. Only one should be fed from the cabbage family in moderation.

If we know the species someone on here can forward you to a proper diet guide.

BIGBOY

East Africa
Cabbage contains goitrogens that interfere with thyroid activity and and could damage liver and kidney's. The same is true for kale. Goitrogenic plants should not be fed in conjunction with each other. Only one should be fed from the cabbage family in moderation.

If we know the species someone on here can forward you to a proper diet guide.
How can I know the species ... here's a picture

Sensimillia

East Sussex
Looks like a Leopard Tortoise to me.

BIGBOY

East Africa
Looks like a Leopard Tortoise to me.

Thanks this is quite useful ...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am not sure from the picture you sent what it is. Please post some more pics for us so we can be sure, and not give you the incorrect information for the species. Just in case it's not a Leopard. Maybe it is.