Yearling Weight Concerns

hokankai

Location (City and/or State)
WA
Hello, I don't have a leopard tortoise ( I have a Hermann's ) but my good friend has a yearling that seems to be on the very small side. She is just at a year and weighed in at 57g. My friend has had her since she was 6 weeks old and it came from ATC and I believe it's a babcocki. How much should they weigh at a year?

Any ideas for what would cause it to be so small? She is following the recommended guidelines in feeding and housing, however we live in the Pacific NW and her enclosure is open top with an MVB bulb and CHE for night. I'm wondering if the overall temp is actually cooling than it should be? What housing is recommended for these guys so that they stay warm enough?

hokankai

WA
I should follow up with this, she ended up having the enclosure and ambient room temp much too cool. Once she covered the enclosure with a mini greenhouse she started eating more and was much more active!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, the right temps will make them not eat as they are too cold. Also a basking temp that isn't warm enough doesn't allow them to digest their food and will also not eat
Let her know the mvb is not recommended any more. It's too harsh on the shell and the UV is unpredictable.
A tube fluorescent for uvb, an incandescent flood bulb, not spot bulb for basking and che for added day heat and night heat. Temps should never go below 80 day and night and basking 95-100. Humidity at 80% a closed chamber is the only way to have the temps and humidity hold correctly. Glad she is changing things up.

hokankai

WA
She ended up rehoming her unfortunately, she did grow again and got much bigger but they added a dog that ended up having a ton of health issues. They found her a home with another Leopard tort owner that lets them roam the house. I think it was for the best but figured in case it helps anyone else if growth on their little ones have stalled

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sadly it sounds like it got a terrible home. Tortoises should not be housed in pairs or allowed to roam the floors of ones home. Very sad!