Weight loss - should I be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
I weighed Milly this morning 03/10/2012 and she weighs 520 grams. She is between one and two. I'm concerned because when I weighed her on 21/09/2012 she weighed 527 grams! So if my scales are right, she's lost seven grams... surely this can't be right?? She's eating normally, and I cant see anything moving in her feces which would suggest worms... she doesnt poo as much as she used to, but she goes more often than she used to. Feces haven't changed.

Should I be worried? Or what should I do? Ever since I got her she's been gaining weight and now she's suddenly lost a lot...

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I wouldn't be worried. Seven grams is NOT a lot of weight especially in the span of less than two weeks. Anything can cause that small amount of a weight loss. One good pee/poop and there you go, even food eaten prior to weighing can cause a fluctuation.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Oh, good! I actually thought 7 grams was a lot for a young tortoise... my bad. She's been to the toilet this morning so that may have something to do with it. Thanks.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Do you weigh your tortoise consistently before or after drinking water?

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
No I dont. It never really occurred to me before as I didn't think it would make much difference. She ate, drank, and went to the toliet before weighing her today though. She's never been this low before.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I would recommend weighing her consistently before soaking and feeding over a period of time and make a record of the average weights. That way, you will have a better idea of her "base weight" and whether or not she is actual gaining or losing weight.

Their weight can fluctuate a lot by drinking and eating obviously. If you weighed them after they ate or drank, you will never get consistent readings because they may not eat or drink as much as they did last time you weighed them. A tortoise that is over 500 grams could easily fluctuate between 5 - 10 grams (just estimating) by simply drinking or urinating/deficating.

Are you noticing any changes in behavior or activity level?

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Yeah i'll definately start weighing her before she eats and drinks. I'm also going to get some digital scales. I only have imperial at the mo. And she seems to want to sleep a lot more. Whenever I let her out she just walks to find a place to sleep. Its really hard to get her to excersize.

Status
Not open for further replies.