Weight gain worry

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
I know torts all grow at different rates, but Ive just checked over my weight gain chart and realised she's only gained 100 grams since I got her 8 months ago! 100 grams in 8 months.... should I be worried? This doesn't seem a lot to me :( she's now 18 months I got her when she was 1.

Is there anything I can feed her to help her growth? She's on her winter diet of several types of lettuce, rocket, chard, mizuna, and zoomed grassland tortoise food until summer. She won't touch grass but eats cactus pads. Next week I'll be planting my dandelion seeds and weed seeds.

Im a bit worried now though. Is this normal? I had a fecal check done when I got her so its not that. Feel like a bad mum!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That doesn't seem like very much growth, but it is steady growth. As you have read before they all grow at different rates. If there are no parasite issues and she seems healthy and active then there probably aren't any problems. She may just be a small leopard. Do you feed her as much as she will eat? You might try feeding her twice a day, and adding some Mazuri (in the UK it has a different name but is the same product...I just can't remember the name at this time). It is full of nutrition. They also eat more when they are warm enough, so you might double check your temps to make sure she is being kept warm enough. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. Maybe someone else will chime in with suggestions.

p.s. The product is called Nutrazu for tortoises. You can google it to find a location that sells it near you at Nutrazu.com

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't add much more then what DesertGrandmajas already said. Double check temps. Also, my leo who is now two years this month always has enough food to last all day. He can eat several times a day on the one big pile I give in the morning. I have always fed him like this. If he eats it all before bedtime, I will give him a little more. Be sure you are feeding enough. If all double checks are correct, and he keeps gaining, I wouldn't worry too much.
Here is the chart of my Leo. I never kept one before in his younger times. he just always gained. This one starts at him being 1year and 1month old. Don't know why I have him listed in grams and ounces. I must have forgot to switch the scale over. It measures weight in grams, ounces and pounds.
TATUM born March 2011
4/19/2012
9oz.

5/29/12
3 1/2 inches
9 oz.

6/27/12
4inches
10 oz.

8/18/12
4 1/2 inches
377 grams

8/28/12
388 grams

9/23/12
5 inches
416grams

11/11/12
5 1/2 inches
1lb 3oz.

12/1/12
5 1/2 inches
1 lb. 4 1/4 oz

1/1/2013
1lb. 7oz

1/28/2013
1 lb. 10 1/4 oz
6 inches

2/24/2013
1lb 14oz.
6 1/2inches

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You've got a problem somewhere Laura. From 12 to 20 months, they should grow a lot more than 100 grams.

What is the total weight right now? What is your soaking routine? What are your four temps? Do you have a humid hide?

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it. She seems perfectly healthy and happy. If I wasn't weighing her I would suspect a thing. She eats like a little pig. These past few days Ive been feeding her more than I used to, so Im going to keep this up. Ive never really known the correct amount - so you say as much as they can eat? I feed her bits and bobs all day long when im at home - but her breakfast is the one main meal she has in the morning.

Temps are fine, its not that she's not eating, its the fact she's not gaining much weight - maybe a really slow grower? I dont use temp guns I use remote probe sensors that are in the enclosure 24/7 and a thermostat to control heat. Hmm... do (even) warmer temps make them grow quicker do you think?

So, more food and Nutrazu. I also need to keep on top of my calcium supplementing as I tend to forget. So must start doing that twice a week (its with D3 is twice a week right?)

Sorry for all the Qs but does natural sunlight make them grow quicker? Because we dont have much here but I do use a UVA and UVB bulb.

Thanks.

Tom said:
You've got a problem somewhere Laura. From 12 to 20 months, they should grow a lot more than 100 grams.

What is the total weight right now? What is your soaking routine? What are your four temps? Do you have a humid hide?

Her weight today is 621 grams. She was 520 eight months ago. Soaking warm water every other day for half an hour. She has a hide that is in the 85% humidity area but its not enclosed - its a round plastic paper bin.

Cool end: 27oC
Warm end: 39oC
Basking spot: 40-45oC
Night time: 24oC

Day humidity: 85% - 45%
Night humidity: 70-80% all over.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Growth for the first year before you got her was good. Something has happened since you got her to slow it down. What has changed?

Your conditions and routine seem good. Your night temps are slightly lower than my preference and your basking temp is slightly higher that my preference, but not enough to cause this problem.

What size enclosure?

Your questions:
1. My usual strategy is free feeding. Just have food available all the time. Grazing outdoors is best, when weather permits.
2. Yes in theory, warmer temps can grow them faster, but your temps are plenty warm. I would not go warmer. Maybe a few degrees warmer at night, but that would be it.
3. Sunshine does not make them grow faster. It does give them more uniform warmth, compared to an over head bulb, and of course the UV makes D3 production possible. It also has psychological benefits, which can improve appetite and activity levels.
4. I think a small amount of calcium twice a week is a good rule of thumb.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
She was a good weight but slightly pyramided. I dont know what ive changed as I bought her from a pet shop. All i can imagine ive changed is humidity. Her enclosure is smaller than it should be, is this stunting her growth do you think? Im currently looking into doubling the enclosure size. Its a zoomed tortoise house.

I dont know what else im doing wrong.... :( i'll leave a heap of food out in future but it goes soggy because of the heat and on days where im not home i cant replace it.

Bigger enclosure and more calcium? I dont really know what else I could be doing wrong...

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Does anybody know if a small enclosure size can stunt growth?

I'm also really struggling to find Nurtazu in the UK :(

Status
Not open for further replies.