Tortoise Help...

AliceVernon

I am planning on getting a tortoise some time this year.
Can you help me on:

~What enclosure to buy.
~ What to look for when buying a enclosure.
~ What tortoise is the easiest to look after.
~ What tortoise is hardest to look after.
~ What to look for when buying a tortoise.
~ What tortoise would be OK for a UK Climate?
~ Places to buy tortoises. E.G. Watermarque
~ What the average price is for tortoises. (All breeds if you can)
~ What food can tortoises eat and not eat?

I know it is rather a long list but I just want to be a good tort owner.
Additional Info:
I live in the UK, Somerset.
I would need an inside enclosure because outside it is usually cold.
I am 13 (just thought I'd add this)

Many thanks xx
Alice

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
So I see your in the UK, I am so not familiar with the weather there LOL. I guess you have a double post I responded on other one also. Maybe mods help you out with them. By combining or deleting one. This happens occasionally.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Alice

I am in the UK too. The opposite side in Kent. You, and your family, need to think hard about buying a tortoise as it is a lifetime pet. Our tortoise, Joe, was my husband's seventh birthday present ... back in 1970 ... 44 years ago! Joe should live easily for another 44 years. This means that your family and you will have to work out how you take care of it through holidays and you going off to university and house moves and.... it is a very long term commitment. They are not that portable and they aren't social like dogs; think of a tort as an ornament with personality rather than a pet to cuddle.

It is perfectly possible for a mediterranean species such as Testudo Graeca Ibera (Greek) or a Russian to live outdoors, especially in the mild south west where you live, but it will need to hibernate or be brought indoors in winter.

If Tom doesn't beat me to it, I will post a few links to threads that will help you.

AliceVernon

Hi Alice

I am in the UK too. The opposite side in Kent. You, and your family, need to think hard about buying a tortoise as it is a lifetime pet. Our tortoise, Joe, was my husband's seventh birthday present ... back in 1970 ... 44 years ago! Joe should live easily for another 44 years. This means that your family and you will have to work out how you take care of it through holidays and you going off to university and house moves and.... it is a very long term commitment. They are not that portable and they aren't social like dogs; think of a tort as an ornament with personality rather than a pet to cuddle.

It is perfectly possible for a mediterranean species such as Testudo Graeca Ibera (Greek) or a Russian to live outdoors, especially in the mild south west where you live, but it will need to hibernate or be brought indoors in winter.

If Tom doesn't beat me to it, I will post a few links to threads that will help you.

My family don't go away for holiday. We always stay at home, so that wouldn't be a problem.
There is not a chance we will move house. My parents are happy where we are at the moment.
When I go to Uni, my parents would look after the tort.
Thank you for your help :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My family don't go away for holiday. We always stay at home, so that wouldn't be a problem.
There is not a chance we will move house. My parents are happy where we are at the moment.
When I go to Uni, my parents would look after the tort.
Thank you for your help :)
That's fine. As long as you and your family are aware that this pet will be with you for the next 70 or 80 years... really!:)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Alice
Hello and welcome to the TFO fromAZ, USA . These people are great and they are trying to help you. Cause what I wanted to say was when you can answer your questions you will be ready for a tort. So if you take your time do your resurch and Mose of all just have fun . Don't rush it . Your going to be happier . Have a great tort day

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

AliceVernon

Alice
Hello and welcome to the TFO fromAZ, USA . These people are great and they are trying to help you. Cause what I wanted to say was when you can answer your questions you will be ready for a tort. So if you take your time do your resurch and Mose of all just have fun . Don't rush it . Your going to be happier . Have a great tort day

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum
Thank you for your advice :)