tortoise hibernation

marnis04_

Location (City and/or State)
bury st edmunds
hi guys i need some advice on my russian tortoise we are in the UK, this is the first time he’s hibernated with me, but he has done so with his previous owners.
humphrey has been in hibernation since the middle of november and the advised hibernation period is coming up soon. however he is still fast asleep and because of the cold spell coming up soon, im feeling a bit anxious bringing him out incase it brings more harm than good. Humphrey is 8 and has only hibernated for a few years- which is why im a little bit unsure of what to do as it is the first time im doing it myself.
any help would be much appreciated

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't brumate(proper word) mine. However if I did, I would leave him be as long as you know more cold is coming.
If you want to wake him, then you need to wake him all the way and keep him up. Keeping his enclosure bright during the day for 12 hours, temps no lower then 75 day and 70 at night and continue with normal summer months routine, except going outside, wait for that until you get proper temps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hi guys i need some advice on my russian tortoise we are in the UK, this is the first time he’s hibernated with me, but he has done so with his previous owners.
humphrey has been in hibernation since the middle of november and the advised hibernation period is coming up soon. however he is still fast asleep and because of the cold spell coming up soon, im feeling a bit anxious bringing him out incase it brings more harm than good. Humphrey is 8 and has only hibernated for a few years- which is why im a little bit unsure of what to do as it is the first time im doing it myself.
any help would be much appreciated
You need to read both of these:

And this one will offer some insight too: