Post Hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

danieledwards2006

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
England
My 2 Spur thighed tortoises work up yesterday after 3 1/2 months in hibernation. They have started to eat already so are doing well. This was the first time I had hibernated them and it just reached 10 c yesterday so they woke.

Is there a prefered food to feed them when they come straight out of hibernation?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Besides warming up to normal activity levels, the next most important thing that they should do is to drink fresh water. They should, under normal circumstances consume a large amount of it. They may or may not pass wastes the first time drinking. Some will not until a second or even third time drinking. Once they have become rehydrated they should be fed. I've never known of a preferred food to feed them straight out of hibernation. I do not feed them large amounts of food for the first week. Only what they will consume in about 10 minutes. Once they begin to defecate and their feces looks solid and normal, I begin feeding them larger, more normal size amounts of food. I try to supply post hibernation foods that are high in fiber and have some additional proteins in them. But I don't go crazy with trying to analyze every food I feed them and just try to supply good quality foods in general.

danieledwards2006

10 Year Member!
England
thanks for your advice. I have been bathing them 2-3 a day and they have fresh water.
I wont go over the top with feeding then.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If it makes you feel any better, I do it the same way as GB. I do everything slowly. Bringing up the temps, hydration, and feeding. I also like to start them eating again with softer, finely chopped leafy greens in small amounts. To a degree I let their behavior tell me how quickly, or slowly, to proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.